1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

96 neon sport DOHC oil/missfire and speedo problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:51 AM
3forty7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 neon sport DOHC oil/missfire and speedo problem

Hey guys I have been reading up on the forum because I am about to buy a 96 dohc sport neon from my sister for a commuter car. The car has a speedo issue that I believe I can fix from what I have read from teh searches Ihave done, as well as an oil issue. It seems to burn oil and run on 3 cyclenders alot duriing and a while after startup. My brother in law said it has a code that relates to oil fouling out the plugs.I think from the search I used on this forum this might have to do with the spark plug seals. My sister has had the car since it was new and a guess on the miles is about 75,000 at the most, sisne teh speedo doesnt work. The outside is clean, and the inside is liek brand new. She is going to sell the car for a $1000, and I will be using it as a commuter. Does it souund like a good deal, and is 87 octane ok for commuting?

Thanks

Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 96 neon sport DOHC oil/missfire and speedo problem

$1000 isn't bad. You will probably need to change the valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals and replace the plugs with stock copper Champions. FYI, the neon has a 100,000 mile timing belt. The water pump and idler pulley should be changed at that same time as well.

87 octane is OK for the DOHC, but you may experience some pinging. I never did in my old 99. 91 or 93 octane is better for the DOHC.

Quick Reply: 96 neon sport DOHC oil/missfire and speedo problem