1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Power Steering & Alternator Belt coming off

Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM
NYG
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering & Alternator Belt coming off

Just curious if anyone is having this problem or have a fix it solution

I race my Neon just for clarification as when I drive it on the street - the belts are fine. This issue has just started on my 3rd or 4th season of racing my little neon!

Regulary when racing - going from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd - I am loosing either the Power Steering belt or the Alternator belt - or both belts.

I have lost my Power Steering belt once going from 3rd to 4th while apexing right!

I lost both Belts at the start of the race in Houston this past weekend - the Neon behind me saw the belts come off. Basically I started to speed up expecting the green flag when the cars in front of me started to brake - I came off the gas and started to break and downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and both belts came off

The belts are brand new and I just put them on 3 weekends earlier when I lost both belts in a qualify session at Barber.

I have changed out my power steering pump twice in the past year - but the loosing of the belts has been going on for awhile.

I also have been driving/pushing my little neon harder as I am more comfortable with the limits of my Neon.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Power Steering & Alternator Belt coming off

Alignment would be my first guess.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 PM
97dohc2dr

i had that problem when i first bought mine
the second time it happened i looked closer and the crank pulley had a dent in it like someone tried to pry it off
i replaced it and haven't had any problems

Old 08-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: NYG

I am loosing
If this was a spelling bee you'd be "losing". theres a big ****ing difference between "Lose" and "loose", especially when talking cars. Loose means not tight as lose means to leave something without knowledge towhere it is or to not win.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:48 AM
NYG
Veteran

That was tricky to align - any suggestions on how you would align them?

I ended up using a yard stick - I would lay the stick across the pulley of the Power steering and outer pulley of the Crank until it was flush

Then I did the same thing for the Alternator Pulley and inner track of the pulley on the Crank.

That took some tweaking - ended up setting the Alternator pulley 1st then adjusted the Power Steering until I had it what I think is aligned - but still losing Belts!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:51 AM
NYG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 97dohc2dr

i had that problem when i first bought mine
the second time it happened i looked closer and the crank pulley had a dent in it like someone tried to pry it off
i replaced it and haven't had any problems
I did swap mine with another used one I had about 3 weeks ago - the 2 of the last 3 races I lost either both belts or just the Power Steering belt.

Thanks for the suggestion - might look into buying a new one as I dropped one of them while taking it off.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 AM
NYG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

If this was a spelling bee you'd be "losing". theres a bigdifference between "Lose" and "loose", especially when talking cars. Loose means not tight as lose means to leave something without knowledge towhere it is or to not win.
I guess I am luckythis is not a spelling bee

I will take note that there is a wannabe out there checking my spelling! Not that I would do much about it!

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

If this was a spelling bee you'd be "losing". theres a bigdifference between "Lose" and "loose", especially when talking cars. Loose means not tight as lose means to leave something without knowledge towhere it is or to not win.
I guess if I was to lower my IQ to wannabe level and be as dorky as wannabe- I would question if you are actually hearing me talk or are you just reading what I type and don't have a clue about the difference about talking or reading? or did you come up a few words short and meant to type " when talkingABOUT cars"? Yes it is past the '90's and cars do have recordings that will play little messages back like travel directions and/or fasten your seatbelts etc - but do cars really talk?? or have you been watching Disney little movie Cars a little too much? Is Lightning McQueen your Hero??

Take a Chill Pill wannabe!

Show that you are some what intelligent and drop the F Word -I am not asking for much - from a wannabe!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:46 PM
racerx55
Record Breaker

Check the endplay of your crank, i had one motor that wore the thrust bearing so bad it was doing that.
stock pulleys are junk. i think i would try another one. maybe get a new one instead of used.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:57 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

i don't know muchon this subject but have encontered this problem with a diffrent car (mazda predege). After reinstalling new belts every three months she(some elses car) took it to the dealer and they told her she needed a new engine. She did drive like Dale Jr. everwhere.

i would think that it's either the pully alignment or something is up the alternator or water pump. Are there any symtoms such as belts screaming

Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 PM
NYG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: racerx55

Check the endplay of your crank, i had one motor that wore the thrust bearing so bad it was doing that.
stock pulleys are junk. i think i would try another one. maybe get a new one instead of used.
Thanks for the info - I have a new Pulley on order for the Crank and will give it a try - hopefully it comes in before I go to Pocono

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering & Alternator Belt coming off