1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Gauge cluster problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 AM
holset cummins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge cluster problem

When i first bought the car, the cluster didn't work at all so i bought one at a yard and installed it. it worked on and off mainly because the plugs in the back would keep coming out. i then later found a gauge cluster with a tack in it so i installed it and made sure the plugs where in all the way. it worked good but after driving it for about 20 minutes, the speedometer starts to work on and off. once that stops working, then the whole gauge cluster starts freezing up and stops working also. once the car sits for a couple hours, it works good and then starts the process all over again. any idea whats wrong?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by holset cummins
When i first bought the car, the cluster didn't work at all so i bought one at a yard and installed it. it worked on and off mainly because the plugs in the back would keep coming out. i then later found a gauge cluster with a tack in it so i installed it and made sure the plugs where in all the way. it worked good but after driving it for about 20 minutes, the speedometer starts to work on and off. once that stops working, then the whole gauge cluster starts freezing up and stops working also. once the car sits for a couple hours, it works good and then starts the process all over again. any idea whats wrong?

Most likely you have the infamous "cold solder joint" issue that affects 1st gen neons to varying degrees and gets worse as they age unless you reflow the solder. Please read the thread below:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...er-repair.html

It may or may not work. Some boards and/or components on the boards have failed and just need to be replaced. Try this first. It should fix you right up.

If you cannot make this one work, I have one you might want. It also has the 8K tach, and I know it works. Just PM me if you need to and we'll make a deal.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 AM
2002ACRNEON
Rookie

My '98 Neon had the speedo dropping off. Pulled the cluster and I had my son soldier the connecters.

Been working like new once again. Hopefully yours is "just" the soldier issue too.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM
holset cummins

thanks for the help guys. i will let you know if it works

Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM
ohioguru
Veteran

does anyone have the link for the how to vid? would prolly help you look for which ones you need to sodder

Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by ohioguru
does anyone have the link for the how to vid? would prolly help you look for which ones you need to sodder
The link I gave below has a picture that shows all the points that you reflow. You only need to reflow those to fix the problem if it will fix it.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:06 PM
holset cummins

found it for anyone else with this problem

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster problem