1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Airbag Light and Horn problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:00 PM
livewire94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Light and Horn problem.

Hi, I have a 95 Dodge Neon with 180,000 miles on it. My Airbag light stays on while driving. It was fine then suddenly it came on while driving and now it remains on everytime I start the car.

I also now have a problem with my horn. The horn will beep when steering the car. I pulled the horn fuse for now. This all started to happen after I adjusted the tilt wheel for the first time in years.

Im afraid the airbag will blow up in my face for no reason now. I checked with a dealer but they are $70 an hour labor just to look at it.

Has anyone had problems like these and know how to fix it? I am mechanically inclined just don't know much about airbags.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
6sic6
Rookie
Default RE: Airbag Light and Horn problem.

If your worried about the airbag pull the fuse. take the jacket off the steering collum and remove the airbg cover to inspect for rubbed or broken wires to the horn and airbag.

Disconnect the battery so you dont accidentally set off the airbag but still never work with it infront of you so it wont nail you just incase for some reason it goes off.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

well if you dont mind dying in a frontend crash, then take out the fuse. is your life not worth 70 an hour?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A broken/malfunctioning clockspring sounds like your problem. It's behind the steering wheel.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:43 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

airbags cause more problems then help IMO. Accidental deployment can blow out windshelds too.

http://www.cib.vt.edu/research/airba...e_injuries.htm

"Air bags involve the extremely rapid deployment of a large cushion. While air bags can protect a person under the right circumstances, they can also injure or kill. To protect occupants not wearing seat belts, U.S. air bag designs trigger much more quickly than air bags designed in other countries. As seat belt use in the U.S. climbed in the late 1980s and early 1990s, auto manufactures were able to adjust their designs. Today all air bag control units recognize if a belt is used and set the trigger time accordingly.
Newer air bags trigger at a lesser speed; nonetheless, passengers must remain at least 25 centimeters (10 in) from the panel from which frontal air bags deploy to avoid injury from the bag in a crash. While driving, a driver must be seated so that the center of their chest remains 10 in from the center of the steering wheel hub. The design of side air bags means occupants of a vehicle must not lean against the inside of the car window or doors, the pillars or place objects between themselves and the side of the vehicle. Despite many cars still featuring hooks on passenger assist grips, these can not be used when side thorax ,and in particular, curtain air bags are fitted.[8]
Injuries such as abrasion of the skin, hearing damage (from the sound during deployment), head injuries, eye damage for spectacle wearers and breaking the nose, fingers, hands or arms can occur as the air bag deploys.
In 1990, the first automotive fatality attributed to an air bag was reported, with deaths peaking in 1997 at 53 in the United States. TRW produced the first gas-inflated air bag in 1994, with sensors and low-inflation-force bags becoming common soon afterwards. Dual-depth air bags appeared on passenger cars in 2005. By that time, deaths related to air bags had declined, with no adults deaths and two child deaths attributed to airbags that year. Injuries remain fairly common in accidents with an air bag deployment.
Smoking a pipe should be avoided while driving. If the air bag inflates and hits the pipe, it is likely to be fatal, even if the crash is moderate.
The increasing use of air bags may actually make rescue work for firefighters, EMS and police officers more dangerous. Every first responder should be properly trained on how to safely deactivate air bags or be aware of the potential hazards. Removing the car battery does not deactivate the air bags"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

i aways disable mine, but that just me

Quick Reply: Airbag Light and Horn problem.