1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

ground wire for coil pack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:49 PM
C.R.E.A.M.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ground wire for coil pack?

i recently replaced the 2 front fenders and the front bumper on my girlfriends 98 Dodge Neon. when i went to start it back up (after everything had been assembled) the car wouldn't start. it was trying to turn over but wouldn't and it was getting gas. i pulled the 4th plug to see if it had spark and there were none. i was told from a friend that the coil pack fired plugs 1+2 and 3+4 seperately soi pulled number 1 and still no spark.

i then took a test light and tested the power on the module going into the coil pack and it checked out just had it should have. then i took the coilpack to the nearest autozone for them to test the resistance of the coilpack, and it had the same resistance as a brand new one did.

so after all of that i still have no spark coming out of the coilpack. now i noticed there is no ground wire for the coilpack in the actual module and i was wondering if anyone knew where the ground wire for it was. since that could be the reason why it's not sparking.

i was wondering if maybe when my friend and i were taking off the fenders and bumper, that made there were a ground wire somewhere involved in it. i dont remember anything resembling a ground wire or even any wire, but maybe someone has a wiring diagram and can help me out with this.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:04 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: ground wire for coil pack?

First off welcome...

second off there is no ground strap for the coil pack itself...

I'm going to go on a wild hunch here but there is a ground strap that goes from the fenders that you replaced to the head of the block... nudge nudge... neons are very picky about there grounds... if you cant find the ground strap make one out of some 10 or 8g wire that you can find at any auto shop.... I'm pretty sure thats your problem...

Old 02-15-2008, 07:55 AM
C.R.E.A.M.

ok i knew it was a ground missing, cause i looked over the top of the engine with my ohm meter and i couldnt find a single ground on it. i tested every bolt and screw that existed on top and nothing was registering as a ground.

ok that could explain alot then, now do you know where the strap runs? i mean i gotta know if i'm taking off the fender again or what, and which side and what not. i just wanna get this done as quick as i can just so i can get back my truck.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

There should be a ground strap that runs from the head passenger side, to the passenger side fender dont take the fender off you should be able to find a spot...

Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Slashwannabe

My Passengers side ground isnt even attached and mine runs. Thats not the problem with yours.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:45 AM
C.R.E.A.M.

well i honestly can't think of anything else, cause everything else checks out, i'm going to attempt to go out in the freezing cold and try that today, atleast its something that might do it. i'll update you guys when i'm done. thanks for the information so far.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
C.R.E.A.M.

well i found the strapping, and it's under the fender so it wasn't taken off at all. i tested the ground with a multimeter and it came out fine, i then re-tested the module for the coil pack and found a ground in that, but that was also fine. so i have no idea what is going on.

Quick Reply: ground wire for coil pack?