Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Neon > 1st Gen Neon
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Cool Neon Transmission Gear Ratio/Tire/RPM Chart

Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Slashwannabe
Default Cool Neon Transmission Gear Ratio/Tire/RPM Chart

I found this cool chart at Neons.org shows you everything on what certain gear ratios and tire combos do.

(All Measurements are based off of 205/55/15 tires) MaxMph at max Engine speed Specs below (All specs are based off the fact the cars had enough power to do these speeds based on the stock gear ratios)

a SOHC 5 speed car (3.55 MTX) 180mph at 6480 Rpm in 5th Gear.

DOHC 5 speed MTX (3.94) 5th gear:118mph 5304 Rpm 145mph at 6518 Rpm

a SOHC ATX (2.89 ATX) at 6106 Rpm will do 150mph in 3rd gear (Drive). At 118mph it is doing 4803 Rpm

the DOHC ATX (3.63) at 150mph will run 7669Rpm 118mph 6033Rpm

**DISCLAIMER** (if you own a DOHC Engine please do not take this to heart or think you have a bad engine because this is for fun and its also true! its from the .org so of course its true!) I didn't intend this to be a DOHC bash but I noticed that there was something weird in the way the gear ratios x Rpm vs the sohc didn't add up.

Do you guys see the trend in the chart above? Lower Gears for the DOHC across the board,This is why You guys believe the DOHC has more power than the SOHC.The only way you DOHCguys get to use the500 Rpm Advantage youall brag about having over us SOHC Guys is to use a SOHC transmission, otherwise yer pretty much equal.

Lets see a SOHC with a R/T 5 speed go up against a DOHC with an R/T 5 speed betcha the SOHC wipes him in the Quarter Mile. These Gear ratios prove that you guys should be swappingDOHC Trannys into your SOHC carsinstead ofDOHC Motors. I bet nobodys ever tried this combo and if they did they fear ridicule so they wont post their results because alot ofthe DOHC Guys are so pompous and arrogant.

I knew the DOHC wasn't that much better than the SOHC and Ifinally found the reason. I still defend that the DOHC is a good motor but it obviously isn't as complete of a motor in the powerband as a SOHC is. 2+ for the SOHC Guys!

From the 2-3 Wheel Horse Power Dyno Difference to the low gears to help the Low End lacking DOHC it seems that once and for all a SOHC has proved to be the better motor. The SOHC is the victim of Circumstance, it could have had the DOHC glory and MOREbut engineers at chrysler decided this motor should run taller gears for economy just because it had the power to run those gears and theDOHC lacked that all around power so it needed the shorter gears.

I really wish people would stop recomending the DOHC over the SOHC, build what you got in your car! thats what I recomend! weather its SOHC or DOHC build the fkr and be happy! There are 2 Neons that do 8 second Quarter miles and 1 uses a DOHC and the other recentlyis a SOHC.

This isn't just me flaming about the DOHC Engine again its actual proof that the DOHC is not the fabled Engine from theFast And The Furious Teenage tuners talk about. Its quite frankly exagerated and embellished to the point that people don't realise the bull**** they feed people and the real stuff they believe.

I wont stop exposing the DOHC's flaws until somebody admits its not worth it to swap a SOHC for a DOHC stock for stock.Who would have thought that all along you would get better performance from the DOHC trannys than the actual DOHC itself!

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Professional

Default RE: Cool Neon Transmission Gear Ratio/Tire/RPM Chart

this is what I learned from taking a transmission and drivetrain course the higher numerically ratio the quicker the accerlation but the top end is lower the lower numerically ratio the higher the top end but accerlation is slower for example since I am old school muscle car my friend had a 68GTO with factory 4.88 rear gears drag racing stop light to stop light he would smoke everybody all the time as he car would top out at around 100mph but would reach it quicker than hell but when he took it the drag strip he would loose most of the time as due to the distance it would allow someone else time to accerlateto 120 or so and pass him at the last second so in reality it all depends on what kind of driving and or racing you do, However if you were to put the same tranny in a DOHC and then put that same tranny in a SOHC I believe the DOHC would beat it based on RPM and torque curve
personally I would rather put a SOHC tranny in DOHC to get better RPM range while driving on the highway as at 70mph I think 3600rpm is a little too high and buy using a lower gear ratio it would bring the rpms down and increase highway milage
Old 03-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
ORIGINAL: vlmuke

personally I would rather put a SOHC tranny in DOHC to get better RPM range while driving on the highway as at 70mph I think 3600rpm is a little too high and buy using a lower gear ratio it would bring the rpms down and increase highway milage
That's why I changed my ATX transfer gears, 70MPH = 3200 RPM, and +2 MPG.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: vlmuke

I believe the DOHC would beat it based on RPM and torque curve
Not really the SOHC would be allready taking off sooner especially with the quicker DOHC gears and its fatter power band. This is the same prinicipal why DOHC ATX cars can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag against a SOHC ATX. Its because even with the lower gears they suck on the low end. The DOHC has more "peak power" by 2 wheel horsepowerbut lacks a fully functional powerband under that 1,000 Rpm sweet spot where it makes peak power.

On my DOHC 5 Speed Neon if it wasn't for the fact I could drop the clutch at 5,000 Rpm and that the gears are 3.54 for first gear ratio the DOHC would be pretty disapointing. I'm going to swap a SOHC headon it in summer and see for myself if I am correct, the water pump is leaking on it now and so I need to change that **** anyway.

The thing has nothin' under 4,500 Rpm even with the nice gears.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Professional

i have only been a neon owner for about 3 months I based my thoughts on past experience that usually motors with identical displacement usually the DOHC motors have a better midrange and top end but when but the bottom end is typically similar but that isn't always the case
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM

The Neon DOHC and SOHC are a pretty good match against eachother in a race, both use simular shaped 4 valve per cylinderhead.

When comparing simular gear ratiosThe SOHC always takes the DOHC on the bottum and mid range but on the top end the DOHC makes up some of its lost ground. After I found this out about the DOHC having shorter gears I did some research and actually have found people who have done the DOHC tranny swapin the SOHC with Amazing results!

The SOHC has always been looked at as an Economy Engine when it really madealmost the exact same peakpower to the DOHC Engine. The DOHC has always been regaurded as the performance option and the only thing that really makes the DOHC have more snap than the SOHC is itsconsiderably lower gears.

What you see here is:

Economy: Tall gears (SOHC always got these which is whypeople think its slow, not once ever did the SOHC get the DOHC snappier transmissions)

Performance: Shorter Gears

I would like to see how many people favor the DOHC if both Engineswere using the DOHC's transmissions. I was right all along about the SOHC being underrated, these motors are within 2-3 hp on the chassisdyno why the fk would chrysler promote the DOHC as more powerfull? the Answer is because they needed a 2ndengine option for marketing purposes. I think these gears are the smoking gun I've been trying to prove existed for years.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Veteran

Are the gear ratios in the transmission different or just the final drive ratio for the diff unit?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: unclemike

Are the gear ratios in the transmission different or just the final drive ratio for the diff unit?
SOHC ATX Final Drive Gear:2.89 1st Gear: 2.692nd Gear:1.55 3rd Gear: 1.00

DOHC ATX FInal Drive Gear: 3.63 1st gear: 2.69 2nd Gear: 1.55 3rd gear: 1.00

As you can see the DOHC Transmission would make your SOHC more snappy than a stock SOHC Transmission.

SOHC MTX Final Drive Gear: 3.55 1st Gear: 3.54 2nd gear: 2.12 3rd Gear: 1.36 4th gear: 1.03 5th Gear: .72

DOHC MTX Final Drive Gear: 3.94 1st gear: 3.54 2nd gear: 2.12 3rd Gear: 1.36 4th Gear: 1.03 5th Gear: .81 or .72

(DOHC ACR's and R/T'shad the .81 5th gear, regular DOHC MTX's had the .72)

Again Take note that the Final Drive Gear is lower across the board for the DOHC for more off the line acceleration.

When we are talking final drive gear we mean the differential Gear not 5th gear.(I know you know this Mike but for people who don't I put that in )

This is one reason why SOHC's are noted for being average on take off. A DOHC transmission would make things alot easier! not only off the line but everywhere else!.

I bet this is the reason the DOHC has such highend cuz it can wind out those shorter gears a little bit faster than the SOHC can on the top end.

I respect the DOHC because its mopar and I embrace them but I think the fact that the DOHC has ashorter final drive gear is great news because us SOHC guys can use a cheap performance upgrade for those long drawn out SOHC gears. I almost wish I would have known this before I did my transmission last October.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Record Breaker

can youget a gen 1 dohc tranny and put it in a gen 2 (2000) ??
Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 PM
All Star

Vehicle: 2000 dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to neonracer1010 Send a message via MSN to neonracer1010

Quote:
ORIGINAL: bone33

can youget a gen 1 dohc tranny and put it in a gen 2 (2000) ??
atx NO
mtx yes just change the bellhousing
Old 03-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Professional

slash, ur a clown! haha. just having some fun with you, but seriously. you dont really think that my top speed is 118 do you? my comp. might limit me there, but whenever i put my mopar stage1 on, i proove your statement wronge. to top that off, i have the low gear ratio acr transaxle. dont believe everything stated on the internet. the world is the prooving grounds and I am that proof. Ive gotten the car up above the registering speed on my odometer, but thats not saying much.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Professional

is a SOHC to DOHC tranny swap easy ? like straight pull out put in lol?
Accel red plugwires
17" Enkei`s
Old 03-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jakedlee16

is a SOHC to DOHC tranny swap easy ? like straight pull out put in lol?

Yes its "plug and play" same transmission but different final drive gear ratios.

Trannyinstaller, WTF are you talking about?Das,Spud and everybody else knows 118mph is the cut off on all models of Neons(EXCEPT THE ACR and R/T there like 130mph), If you went above 118mphyou probably have bigger tires and its giving a false reading or were going down a hill, once you hit 118mph your car bucks and drops down due to the SPEED LIMITER. Just like the Cavalier guys who brag they go 115mph when their car is governed from the factory at 107mph.

I'm talking about a stock PCM if you haven't figured that out, most everybody has a stock PCM so why would I talk about the cut offs on those when I know they are removed? Also even with the stock PCM you can disconnect the speed sensor and go as fast as you want but with no speedometer so your on your own to figure out how fast you went via the Tire XRpm charts.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Record Breaker

i have a TOM TOM to figure out how fast im going

so if i have a SOHC trans on a DOHC is that bad?
98 MTX Highline, 2.4 Swap With :Mopar PCM, 2.5' Exhaust, Granatelli Plug Wires, F1 Clutch, 3.0 CAI, Atx Tb, 2.0 Cams, UDP, 24# Mustang injectors, Chikara Header,Solid Motor Mount Inserts ,Booger Bushings, PS/AC/Balance Shaft Removed,
2240 lbs

Old 03-08-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: boxerjl2

i have a TOM TOM to figure out how fast im going

so if i have a SOHC trans on a DOHC is that bad?
You never believe me anyway but if you must know the SOHC trans certainly doesn't favor the DOHC's power band, hell it barely favors the SOHC.

Its not going to have the same accelleration that a DOHC would have with its native transmission thats for sure. After looking at the gear ratio chart a person could so kick *** with a stock SOHC if it had anyone of the DOHC's trannys manual or ATX with the nice lower gears for better launch.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Record Breaker

sweet so when i look into getting a transmission ill be sure to get the DOhc one .. so is our speed sensor the govener.. becuz i dont have a speed sensor firstly its all messed up on the inside of trans and i unhooked it because it always falls on its face when i put it in there,, when i would go to lauch it would like choke out just (loose) (HAHA) lose all of its power,, so i took it out and i dont have a problem with it any more
98 MTX Highline, 2.4 Swap With :Mopar PCM, 2.5' Exhaust, Granatelli Plug Wires, F1 Clutch, 3.0 CAI, Atx Tb, 2.0 Cams, UDP, 24# Mustang injectors, Chikara Header,Solid Motor Mount Inserts ,Booger Bushings, PS/AC/Balance Shaft Removed,
2240 lbs

Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 AM

ive looked all around for a manual transmition localy and can not find any in minnesota that i can trust anywhere!!!! could i find one online thats trust worthy ?
Also if u have a automatic transmition aand want to change to a manual; i heard you have to drill a hole in the fire wall for the hydrallic selinoid or somthing like that... please correct me if im wrong im trying to work on my neon and i want to learn how to make my sohc faster
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 2003 Srt-4
gurglingwhistle

If your car is 95-99 its a cable clutch setup. You don't need to drill anything, you just need the parts to swap it to a manual and bolt them up. Neon trannys are a dime a dozen around here, just need to look a little harder I think.

03 Neon Srt-4: 1025cc injectors on E85, 25psi spike on e85
Old 05-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Ride_Neon View Post
If your car is 95-99 its a cable clutch setup. You don't need to drill anything, you just need the parts to swap it to a manual and bolt them up. Neon trannys are a dime a dozen around here, just need to look a little harder I think.
well I have a 2001 dodge neon se should I be looking for transmissions from models within the same year ? And I don't fully understand why I'd have to drill through the fire wall could u explain that to me aswell ?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 2003 Srt-4
gurglingwhistle

To be honest I am not 100% on the 2nd gen neons. You would need a trans from 00 and up for sure. You may have to drill a hole for the master cylinder that sits behind the clutch pedal. Here is a photo of what it looks like from the interior. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...7-18124816.jpg

03 Neon Srt-4: 1025cc injectors on E85, 25psi spike on e85
Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 PM

Tags
atx, automatic, chart, dodge, drive, final, gear, neon, raio, ratio, ratios, rpm, tire, tranny, transmission