1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

95 dies after warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 AM
prnstr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 dies after warm

ok i have a 95 neon that after about 3 miles will loe power and die. wait 5 minutes and it will start and run for a mile and die again. so heres what ive doe so far new fuel filter,fuel pump,crankshaft position sensor and now what. my mechanic said no codes came up so im lost. auto zone said pcm next. any opinions fellas. one more thing, once in a while when its wet outside it wont start. so being the rocket sceintist that i am, could there be something cracked that is letting moisture and heat in???? thanks again single overhead cam too

Old 05-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Default RE: 95 dies after warm

Any work/repairs in the past 3 months?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:26 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

could there be something cracked that is letting moisture and heat in

ignition coil

Old 05-16-2008, 09:04 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

Just went through something similar. Except my computer was puking up code after code. Id replace whatever the computer called for and it would pull the same crap. It would drive for around the same ammount of time every time then it would die. Sit for around 5 minutes and it would start and drive for a little while. Then it would die again. Repeat. Sooooo, after giving up on it myself, I let the local yocal auto shop have a go at it. You would never guess how f**king stupid it was. The PCM connection had come loose. Thats it. Somehow, at some point, that little joker popped itself loose and started to short out after it heated up and the resistance went up. "Click" Problem solved. Thatll be $100.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

The PCM is located under the hood. Open your hood and look right next to your battery you will see an aluminum box located on the top of your fender well.The connections are located on the top of the box. Im pretty sure its in the same spot as the 96 and newer Neons.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:43 PM
prnstr

how can your pcm harness come lose?? it has a bolt on it doesnt it

Old 05-24-2008, 03:47 PM
prnstr

ok i changed the ignition module, no difference. i next changed the pcm ( box on driver side fender) still dies what next besides a gallon of gas and a match!

Old 05-24-2008, 04:56 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

My 96 doesnt. Just those plastic built in clips.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:26 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

Well, no codes...car stalls.....wait for a few minutes..... repeat.If you changed the fuel pump and filter, you should be getting gas. If you changed the ignition module/coil, you should have spark. New pcm, so it should code if something is registering wrong with a sensor or whatnot. If a car has gas and spark in the right time, it should run. Some of the older Neons have rust issues in the fuel rails that can collect on the backs of the injectors, but if that was the case I wouldnt think that it would run at all. When you say loose power, do you mean that the car starts to miss and then stalls? Like its running out of gas? Or does it just gradually start running slower and slower untill it stalls? Like at timing issue? Man, there are only a few things that should make it stall like that.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 AM
prnstr

I just lose all power no knocking or bogging down. Almost like you shut the key off . then as its almost stopped it dies. Wait a couple minutes and it will run for a mile or so. Heat is what I think is the problem. Could the cat. converter be plugged or the egr have something to do with it also.

Quick Reply: 95 dies after warm