1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Tired of this thing sitting here...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of this thing sitting here...

Really guys, an honest $50 via paypal to anyone who can solve my problem. I am really getting fed up with the neon sitting in the driveway not running. Since most of you know my situation, I wont go into too much detail, so here it is: 97 Plymouth Neon, SOHC ATX. Did a head gasket and timing belt, ran for about 20 minutes total, then died without any noises. Am getting plenty of fuel, but no spark. ASD relay is energizing the coil and injectors, but I am not getting an input from the two outer wires on the coil pack (gray/black, blue/tan.) Those two wires run directly from the PCM to the coil pack, and is what times the engine. Also no codes via OBD II scanner or the key method. So far I have replaced:

1. PCM (Twice)

2. Coil Pack

3. Plugs

4. Wires

5. Complete engine wiring harness

6. Crank sensor

7. Cam sensor

8. Re-timed the engine, but to no avail.

9. Disconnected all the sensors one by one to see if it made a difference (Some people have said theirs did the same thing due to an O2 sensor shorting out, but def. not my problem.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:36 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Tired of this thing sitting here...

So. WHat happened in the beggining? You just decided it was time to change the timing belt and head gasket? Or did something go bad?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:37 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Pay for my gas and a hotel and I will come fix it for you

Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: I_Ride_Neon

So. WHat happened in the beggining? You just decided it was time to change the timing belt and head gasket? Or did something go bad?
The head gasket went, spewing oil everywhere.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:47 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I would check your cam sensor and crankshaft sensor all the way back. Thats the only things that I can think of that would throw off the spark. I know you double checked your timing. I had to send you the tensioner. Lol. Check out the cam magnet when you pull the sensor. Make sure its tight and clean. Sorry. You got me stumped. I wish I could see it. I bet I could get it running for ya. You got good ground and power connections?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:50 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Oh yea. I said this a few times. I couldent get spark on my 95 sohc atx. Messed with the tranny plugs and it started and never gave me any more ****.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check the fuel pump fuse???[8D]

Old 05-31-2008, 10:19 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

are I know you said that the coil is energized just not getting signal from outside wires...

Have your fully replaced the wires from the pcm to the coil???

if you have get a multimeter and put the red lead to the positive post of your battery and the negitive to one of the wires for the outside coil pack ... and see if the voltage flucuates.(sp.lol) it it does your getting a signal if it stays at 0 then you have a bad pcm...

Old 05-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: I_Ride_Neon

I would check your cam sensor and crankshaft sensor all the way back. Thats the only things that I can think of that would throw off the spark. I know you double checked your timing. I had to send you the tensioner. Lol. Check out the cam magnet when you pull the sensor. Make sure its tight and clean. Sorry. You got me stumped. I wish I could see it. I bet I could get it running for ya. You got good ground and power connections?
I bet you could also, lol.

Spud: Actually, the funny thing is, I was just messing with it. But here is the strange part: I accidentally pressed the horn, and it worked. Awhile back, I blew the fuel pump fuse, and had to use the horn fuse as I didnt have any on hand, but then I remembered the last time I messed with it I wanted to see if the horn still worked. So tonight, there was no fuse in the fuel pump slot, however, the PCM was energized, and the fuel pump kicked on [&:] Then I put the fuse in the fuel pump slot, and my horn still worked. How in the F!@# does that make any sense???? Damn electrical gremlins... [:@] I think this means my problem could be somewhere in the PDC, but I have had that opened up and didnt see anything visually wrong, not to mention, according to the wiring schematics (which I about have memorized, lol), the two wires run directly from the coil pack to the PCM [&:]

Seriously though guys, if you just sat around and thought about this for two hours, and figured it out, that would be like making $25 an hour. Thats worth it, isnt it?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

may be time for a neon chasis harness.

Quick Reply: Tired of this thing sitting here...