1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Moving the Cat w/short tube header??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Franken04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving the Cat w/short tube header??

With the shorttube headers like Pacesetter and Chikara are any modifications needed? Does the cat have to be moved like with longtubes.

Moving the cat is something I DO NOT want to do, mostly because of my dad and he doesn't really like me having custom work done on my car.

the Chikara looks like a better quality peice.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:34 AM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Moving the Cat w/short tube header??

I do not have any personal experience, but the pacesetter is suposed to be direct fit.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:46 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The Pace Setter does require some cutting and welding. A small portion of the piping above the cat has to be cut off and the adapter that comes with the header welded on. Doesn't require relocation of the cat, which is why it's 50-state legal.

The Chikara shouldn't require any modification. It also provides very minimal gains over the stock exhaust manifold. Also 50-state legal.

With a long-tube, you will have to relocate or remove the cat, which is why none of them are legal in any state.

On a side note, the PaceSetter header tends to need a little "work". Mine has been rewelded where the primaries meet the flange, and coating to prevent rust is a really, really good idea...

Best of luck!

Old 04-01-2005, 02:22 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RadarLove

The Pace Setter does require some cutting and welding. A small portion of the piping above the cat has to be cut off and the adapter that comes with the header welded on. Doesn't require relocation of the cat, which is why it's 50-state legal.
actually, you dont *need* to weld anything with the pacesetter.. but it is a good idea
On a side note, the PaceSetter header tends to need a little "work". Mine has been rewelded where the primaries meet the flange, and coating to prevent rust is a really, really good idea...

Best of luck!
i still havent seen a new one to verify it, but they supposedly fixed that problem with the new pacesetters (the weld locations)

Quick Reply: Moving the Cat w/short tube header??