1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Nuts to me! New Issue! Battery Temp Sensor busted!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuts to me! New Issue! Battery Temp Sensor busted!

Dammit! I broke the Battery Temp Sensor! Piece of plastic doodoo! Who puts a metal nut on a plastic screw base anyway?

Now I have the annoying battery red light on my dash on all the time and yes, the key dance error 44 code showing up. The alternator is still putting out 14.65v, so I am not in any danger of killing my battery.

Here is the question. I went to AutoZone, Advance, O'Reillys and found every sensor under the sun BUT a battery temp sensor. Does it go by another name too? Such as Ambient Air Temp Sensor? The picture of them look very similar to the one I busted.

And before anyone posts a just tape it up and forget about it and pull the bulb out of the dash so it don't light up nonsense, DON'T.

This is my daily driver and I WANT to know when/if my alternator/battery is going on the fritz. I hate the location of the sensor and I wish the censored sensor would just censor itself right up the censored censor, but if I have to, I will just visit a junkyard and get one - hopefully it won't be busted too.......

Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Airtex Part # 5S1189 from Rockauto.com sells them for 13.11 + shipping. Got 2 just in case I break one putting it on.

Called the Dodge place. They are obsolete, they do not have or stock them, can't get them, and do not have a cross-reference to anything else. In other words, if you have a bad Battery Temp Sensor and you want a replacement, give Rockauto.com a try or go to a junkyard.

I also checked with OReillys, Advance, and AutoZone - they don't sell them either.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 PM
thevisad

Originally Posted by bg1995redneon
Dammit! I broke the Battery Temp Sensor! Piece of plastic doodoo! Who puts a metal nut on a plastic screw base anyway?

Now I have the annoying battery red light on my dash on all the time and yes, the key dance error 44 code showing up. The alternator is still putting out 14.65v, so I am not in any danger of killing my battery.

Here is the question. I went to AutoZone, Advance, O'Reillys and found every sensor under the sun BUT a battery temp sensor. Does it go by another name too? Such as Ambient Air Temp Sensor? The picture of them look very similar to the one I busted.

And before anyone posts a just tape it up and forget about it and pull the bulb out of the dash so it don't light up nonsense, DON'T.

This is my daily driver and I WANT to know when/if my alternator/battery is going on the fritz. I hate the location of the sensor and I wish the censored sensor would just censor itself right up the censored censor, but if I have to, I will just visit a junkyard and get one - hopefully it won't be busted too.......
I was just gonna post that I have a spare, I got mine from the junkyard for a dollar. You coulda had it for the price of the postage

TV

Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Oh well. I don't mind getting new ones as I have heard and seen how easy it is to crack one open. Thanks for the offer, and maybe someone else out there may want it, so keep it around. I'll bet you get a PM soon asking about it.

The biggest reason why I decided to go find one is that I know that there are other specific parts for Dodge Neons that are now obsolete, and you cannot get them from the Dealers anymore. Since I am always looking for parts for one car or another, I wanted folks out there to know where and how much they can pay to get one if they need it. Finding a good one used is getting more and more difficult. I called several junkyards around here and none had one - or knew what they were - or even had some Dodge Neons to check.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM
kdetar
Default 1995 Dodge Neon Battery Temp Sensor

Orielly auto parts does have it. it is made by BWD and is part# BTS10. They sell it for under $14.00.you have to give them the part# BTS10 or type it in on their site and you can find it. Hope this helps!!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdetar
Orielly auto parts does have it. it is made by BWD and is part# BTS10. They sell it for under $14.00.you have to give them the part# BTS10 or type it in on their site and you can find it. Hope this helps!!
I am sure the OP would have appreciated your help about 2 years ago...LOL!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nuts to me! New Issue! Battery Temp Sensor busted!