1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

96 Dodge Neon - No Spark, No Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 PM
neisg1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the ASR is bad you won't have 12v on the centre coil terminal. If the test light didnt flash the PCM isn't working, before you give up on it check the all the fuses one more time.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 AM
kftzpatrick

I am getting fuel to the rail and I hear the fuel pump turning on. I am getting power to the center wire.

I will go through and check all the fuses one more time (I could probably do that blindfolded for as many times as have done it in the past week)!

Since the other two wires are not receiving a ground, could it possibly be a bad ground at the PCM connectors?

Old 10-18-2009, 02:14 PM
kftzpatrick

Hello again,

I took the PCM out to check the grounds. When I unplugged the connectors, the one plug that handles pin 41-80 is literally covered in a clear yellowish substance ... it almost looks oily. The pins where the connector plugs into are covered in it as well, I just don't think that this is normal, perhaps this is because of something that burned out in the PCM (a capacitor)? It's only on the one connector, the other is dry and looks fine.

Any ideas?

Last edited by kftzpatrick; 10-18-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:10 PM
noissesboyobyalp

im having the exact same problem... my pcm has oil in the same connecter too. should i go get another one?

Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 PM
neisg1
Veteran

Originally Posted by kftzpatrick
Hello again,

I took the PCM out to check the grounds. When I unplugged the connectors, the one plug that handles pin 41-80 is literally covered in a clear yellowish substance ... it almost looks oily. The pins where the connector plugs into are covered in it as well, I just don't think that this is normal, perhaps this is because of something that burned out in the PCM (a capacitor)? It's only on the one connector, the other is dry and looks fine.

Any ideas?
The Neon PCM is filled with a potting compound, I have read about opening it to re-solder ground connections but not for Capacitor replacement. However, if you’re sure it’s the PCM what do you have to lose by trying? You’re going to have to find a replacement PCM anyway.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:35 AM
1slowNeon

Take a scanner and check again to see what codes you have and pull the valve cover off to make sure the camshaft is turning. I had the same problem with my car.. I put a new head, water pump and all new gaskets on it. Got it running great then drove 2 minutes down the road and it quit. Every test I checked it passed. Then like mentioned above a guy from here told me to pull the valve cover off check make sure the cam was turning and I may have sheared the cam timing locator pin and sure enough did not have it torqued to the proper spec and the pulley worked loose.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:48 PM
kftzpatrick

Thank You ...

I rechecked everything as far as timing is concerned. I have everything -except- spark.

I also rechecked all the fuses and they are all fine. I did notice an oily substance coming from the PCM ... it coated the inside of the PCM where the connector plugs into AND it coated the connector itself, but ONLY on the connector that handles pins 41-80 (not both connectors). Does this sound normal?

I also checked all the grounds at the PCM under load (ie: using a headlamp) and the grounds are all great.

Crank Sensor - New
Cam Sensor - New
Power to Coil - Yes (center wire)
Pulsating voltage at Coil - NO (other two wires)
Timing - Dead On
Fuel - Yes, there is fuel to the rail.
Spark - NO
Compression - Plenty of Compression

I'm just stumped and don't want to spend 500+ for a PCM if that's not the problem.

Last edited by kftzpatrick; 10-26-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:46 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Since you do not have power to the two outside pins, but do to the center wire and since you have checked everything else, it is time to truly consider that your PCM is dead.

You have a 1996 SOHC engine. What tranny? MTX or ATX? There is a junkyard near where I live that has 3 Neons (none are 1995 and all three had ATX's in them - one was a DOHC, and one is SOHC, the last one has the motor and tranny gone, but I can fnd out what it had if I look) and the PCM's are still there. Would you like for me to find out a ballpark price for one? That may give you a better sense of how much it will actually cost to try one out.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
neisg1
Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slowNeon
Take a scanner and check again to see what codes you have and pull the valve cover off to make sure the camshaft is turning. I had the same problem with my car.. I put a new head, water pump and all new gaskets on it. Got it running great then drove 2 minutes down the road and it quit. Every test I checked it passed. Then like mentioned above a guy from here told me to pull the valve cover off check make sure the cam was turning and I may have sheared the cam timing locator pin and sure enough did not have it torqued to the proper spec and the pulley worked loose.
Just quick note: You can also check for cam rotation by removing the cam sensor and watching the end of the cam.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Try a pcm from the junkyard. Wonder if your engine harness is the culprit...

Quick Reply: 96 Dodge Neon - No Spark, No Start