1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

96 Dodge Neon - No Spark, No Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I had this exact same problem... Over two years ago. And guess what? The car is still sitting in my driveway with no spark...

The scenario is exactly the same as the OP. I did a head gasket, timing belt, and water pump. Ran great for several starts, when suddenly it shut of without warning. No codes, timing is dead on (reset thinking the belt slipped, just as the OP did), injectors are firing, 12 volts on the center green/orange coil wire, NO ground pulse from the two outer wires running from the PCM.

I replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, wiring harness, PCM (twice), coil, plugs, wires, reset the timing, and I still have no spark.

If you do a search, you will find my thread from a couple years ago.

Also, if you happen to find a solution, PLEASE post it. Without this car running, the most people are willing to pay is $300 bucks. I have more than that into it just fighting with this issue...

Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
kftzpatrick

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Guys, I had this exact same problem... Over two years ago. And guess what? The car is still sitting in my driveway with no spark...

The scenario is exactly the same as the OP. I did a head gasket, timing belt, and water pump. Ran great for several starts, when suddenly it shut of without warning. No codes, timing is dead on (reset thinking the belt slipped, just as the OP did), injectors are firing, 12 volts on the center green/orange coil wire, NO ground pulse from the two outer wires running from the PCM.

I replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, wiring harness, PCM (twice), coil, plugs, wires, reset the timing, and I still have no spark.

If you do a search, you will find my thread from a couple years ago.

Also, if you happen to find a solution, PLEASE post it. Without this car running, the most people are willing to pay is $300 bucks. I have more than that into it just fighting with this issue...
Did the PCM's that you used have the same Chrysler P/N as the original? I'm thinking this might be the issue with mine?!?

Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 PM
noissesboyobyalp

this is rediculious.... the messed up part too is there is always a solution. i just don't understand when i change everything in the motor and it still has no spark, then i had spark for 5 minutes and i did a couple of hoo raas and then i lost it again. i even ran spare grounds to the head, to the coil pack bolts, to the block, and 2 to the frame.... im stumped.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:30 PM
kftzpatrick

Originally Posted by noissesboyobyalp
this is rediculious.... the messed up part too is there is always a solution. i just don't understand when i change everything in the motor and it still has no spark, then i had spark for 5 minutes and i did a couple of hoo raas and then i lost it again. i even ran spare grounds to the head, to the coil pack bolts, to the block, and 2 to the frame.... im stumped.
check the fuel pump fuse, that also controls power to the PCM.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 PM
cwebbatya

Scarryyyy.. i have this same motor.. :X

Old 10-29-2009, 03:44 PM
noissesboyobyalp

i check all the fuses right after i lost spark the second time, everything is still fine... im starting to think that since i had the coil and cam sensor plug changed around, the pulses of 12v's got sent to the crank sensor which is only suppsosed to have 8v's and maybe it blew out for real this time...

Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 PM
kftzpatrick

Originally Posted by noissesboyobyalp
i check all the fuses right after i lost spark the second time, everything is still fine... im starting to think that since i had the coil and cam sensor plug changed around, the pulses of 12v's got sent to the crank sensor which is only suppsosed to have 8v's and maybe it blew out for real this time...
You mean the Camshaft Sensor, right? Anyway ... I have a new one sitting right here if you're interested

Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 PM
noissesboyobyalp

no i mean the crank sensor, if it takes 8v's, i think some of the crank shaft wires are connected with the cam sensor and maybe it gave it 12v's somehow

Old 10-30-2009, 04:59 PM
kftzpatrick

The crank sensor and cam sensor have 8V separately, if you had the coil plug connected to the cam sensor, it would not have sent 12V to the crank sensor (you would have had to hooked the coil plug directly to the crank sensor). The PCM is what controls voltage to the sensors.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Default Solution Found?

Did you ever find the solution to this problem? Or did you finally decide to push it off a cliff after setting it on fire?

Quick Reply: 96 Dodge Neon - No Spark, No Start