1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Window won't roll down

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
coneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window won't roll down

On my “95” Neon the driver’s window will not roll up or down by hand when door is closed. The window crank has a lot of play. I assume I need to replace the crank. I have some sort of wire cable in the bottom of the door. Is this a part of the crank because it rolls up with the door open despite the broken cable?
I used the shop towel trick to remove the handle. The towel has to b between the handle and the trim ring.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

The window crank mechanism is an entire one-piece assembly that you replace as one piece. The hand crank mechanism has two cables that feed into the two risers (front and rear) and the two risers each has a "tray" that the window sits on and the bolts pass thru holes in the glass to secure them to the tray.

Remove the bolts holding the glass and pull it out of the way.

Try cranking the handle up and down and see if the two trays move accordingly. What may have happened is that the two trays may have allowed the wedge on the cable to pop out of its holding spot on the trays and it won't do the job. You can sometimes get it to go back into place, but usually, you have to do this after you remove it from the car to see what you are doing. If the cable is broken, or if one or both of the trays are broke or inoperable, you will have to replace the whole darn enchilada as a unit.

Basically, undo the four retaining bolts and pull the whole mess out the bottom hole in the door. You will have to play some games to figure it out, but do it carefully and watch what you are doing, because that is the exact same way you have to put it back in. The worst part of the whole job is getting it out, getting it back in, and lastly, adjusting the window to fit right because you may bump the adjustment screw points while you are getting it in/out.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 AM
coneon

Thanks for the info. Is now the time to convert to power windows or can it be done on a “95”?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Yes, but only after much work getting the wires for the motor to, into and thru the door to be able to do so. The Neon does not have pre-wired doors so that you can plug and play. You will have to get the necessary stuff from a car that already has it.

Quick Reply: Window won't roll down