1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

FUEL PUMP FUSE KEEPS BLOWING????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:41 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone is having issues with the fuel pump fuse blowing right away, check your O2 wiring. It may be grounding out on the axle and causing the fuse to blow. This is a common problem with the O2 wiring.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 PM
DOHC_97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cam sensor, coil, both o2's, alt, and fuel pump ALL run on the same circuit. I had the same problem. My alt wiring retainer clip broke off the alt and my wires rubbed bare on the exhaust. I fixed the wires, wire tied the harness back to the alt and been fine now for 2 years. try that and let me know what you think. also look on the front right corner and back right corner of the head. The head is kind of sharp and over time wears the slightest break in the wire coatings.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM
spartucus

I have a 96 neon doing the same thing. Started with a new fuel pump, easy as I didn't have to pull the tank with the metal tank, didn't fix it. I pulled the fuel pump and asd relays, new fuse, turn key it not blow, put fuel pump relay back, turn key it not blow, put asd relay back, turn key, fuse blew, new fuse, disconnected o2 sensors, pcm, fuel injectors and put them back one at a time til fuse blew with pcm connected. Pulled pcm and it had oil in one of the connectors, cleaned it, also found oil in both connectors under fuse box in engine compartment, cleaned them, with electronic spray cleaner, put it all back together today and fuse not blow but I still have no fuel pressure at rail. Will continue with that tomorrow. What fun, may have lost the pcm but I hope not.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 PM
b70cuda440
Default fuel pump fuse blowing

i have a 1995 dodge neon and the fuel pump fuse keep blowing know the did run expect with the auto trann blowing and sat for about 2 years about 1-2 times a mouth i would start it and let it run at the time the only problem with the car is it would rev high.i had started the car alittle bit ago and the it ran fain but it still reved high and would not go back to normal like it would every other time i check all my wiring expecting that something chewed it cuz of it sitting but there no signes of that any were i pulled the feul pump contector and then tryed to see if it still blow and it does as soon as the car get power the fuel pump fuse blows and i did the same thing with the 02 senser and same results i did disconnect the pcm and it didnt blow if anyone could give me some more info please let me know e-mail me at b70cuda440@aol.com as i dont get on the fourm to offten the car does try to turn over i am boggled about what this could be

Old 08-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Jason Hartwick

I fixed this problem on a 96 and a 98 neon it is the oil pressure sensor pushing oil into the harness and puddling in the plugs. Change the sensor, remove the engine harness, spray the harness down with electrical connector cleaner, look for exposed wires, tape it all back up with electrical tape, and now you can put the harness back in the car

Old 08-19-2015, 10:51 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie

I had a truck... It would run but every once in a while when I'd go to start it the fuse would blow immediately.

The pump itself was shorting out. Replaced the pump, problem solved. $15, salvage yard. Back then it was $7

Check the wire harness. Easiest way is to pull the pigtail off the fuel pump and replace it with a voltmeter. Read the voltage or see if the fuse pops with no load.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 AM
a68postcar

I was wondering if anyone had a problem with the fuse blowing under acceleration. my daughters 96 has had all of the issues here, O2,fuel pump. but now only under acceleration. any help would be greatly appreciated. postcar.

Quick Reply: FUEL PUMP FUSE KEEPS BLOWING????