1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 Neon Starter removal

Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM
linkmaster6
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Neon Starter removal

98 Dodge Neon DOHC

Gonna start from the beginning, always a good place to start.
Couple of weeks ago when I tried to start my car it weakly turned over but started and ran fine I chalked it up to just the damp weather we were having and hoped it was just the ethanol in the fuel.

Well of course I wasn't that luck, made it to work and that was it for it starting. Battery is fine and all the electrical connections were tight, but when I attempted to start the engine it went from barely turning to the solenoid not even clicking (Battery is still charged).

So being the DIY guy that I am and armed with my repair manual I attempted to removed the starter my self and thats were it got "fun".

Repair manual states that there's only a few steps
jack up car, car up engine, remove mounting bolt, engine rotates forward, remove bolts from starter, rotate starter, slide out. BULL!

Jacked the front end of the car up, 'FINALLY' got the front engine mounting bolt out. Have a jack underneath the engine to take the weight, lowered the jack (engine does not tip forward, even when set to neutral). I was able to remove the lower bolt from the starter but I cannot see any other bolts in this damn thing.

I am going to take pictures of what I've down so far so everyone will be on the same page. Thanks in advance and if anyone possible has and helpful pics on getting this damn thing out please post them.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
linkmaster6
Amateur

Ok so here are the pictures from my nasty beast.
First 2 pictures are shots of the engine mounting bracket
Name:  01Enginemountingboltleft.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  93.8 KB
Name:  02Enginemountingboltleft.jpg
Views: 2145
Size:  164.1 KB

The third shot is taken from underneath the car showing the position of the starter.
Name:  03Solenoidfrombottom.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  205.5 KB

Fourth is a view of the starter and solenoid from the front wit the hood open. (Yes I did take my radiator out in my attempt to extract my starter)
Name:  04Solenoid.jpg
Views: 17611
Size:  99.3 KB

The next 2 shots show the only places I can feel the starter being held. first is the hole that I removed the bolt at the bottom of the starter, the second is a long stud on top of the starter that does not feel like it has a nut on it.
Name:  06Starterbolt.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  228.6 KB
Name:  05Starter.jpg
Views: 6539
Size:  134.3 KB

Now this last shot is showing where I've tried to pry my starter out. (I'm assuming that my last attempt to start the car caused the starter motor to engage but didn't retract, leaving tension on the gear). The Black arrows are where i tried to pry (my stupidity) but the red is where the starter ends.
Name:  07Pry.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  177.6 KB

Last edited by linkmaster6; 05-09-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 AM
linkmaster6
Amateur

OK, someone took pity on me and got it out for me. Turned out that long stud at the top of my starter was part of something else and the bolt head was next to it

Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha steal one of the wifes old compact mirros and tape it to a stick, will help you see things from a different perspective lol

Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 PM
turnerx2
Default starter

where is it located

Old 02-14-2014, 12:24 PM
turnerx2

where is the starter located?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Neon Starter removal