1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Coolant Temperature Sensor Location (SOHC)

Old 05-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Witch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Temperature Sensor Location (SOHC)

Yes, I already looked at the stickied thread. It didn't help at all since I couldn't find anything recognizable. I cannot tell where the coolant temperature sensor is with that picture from the stickied thread. Autozone gave me the same image and the directions didn't help at all. I couldn't even find the camshaft position sensor. I at least know where the engine knock sensor is as well as the thermostat.

Let me ask some questions to make this easier on myself. Is the coolant temperature sensor near the battery? Or is or near the thermostat?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Witch
Yes, I already looked at the stickied thread. It didn't help at all since I couldn't find anything recognizable. I cannot tell where the coolant temperature sensor is with that picture from the stickied thread. Autozone gave me the same image and the directions didn't help at all. I couldn't even find the camshaft position sensor. I at least know where the engine knock sensor is as well as the thermostat.

Let me ask some questions to make this easier on myself. Is the coolant temperature sensor near the battery? Or is or near the thermostat?
Well technically it would be closer to the battery then the thermostat, but really both are wrong answers.

Standing in front of the car facing the car with the hood open. The coolent temp. sensor is on the right side of the motor just underneath the two heater hoses that run from the cylinder head and go into the firewall.

Remove the intake air pipe from the throttle body and air box (just the pipe, not the air box too). It also helps to remove the battery and battery box. Once they are out of the way, you should see the two metal hoses/rubber hoses that make up the connection to the heater, and the place where there is a bolt to hold it to the head. Under that bolt connection you will see a small two wire electrical connector that connects to the temp sensor. You need a deep well socket to get it off.

Now if you look beside the temp sensor, you will see another electrical connector that hooks into what appears to be a flat plastic plate with four screws on the side of the cylinder head. That is the camshaft position sensor. You might even need to unplug the connector to it so that you can get clear access to undo the temp sensor without the wires getting in your way.

HTH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature Sensor Location (SOHC)