1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Won't start, 98 Dodge Neon

Old 09-19-2011, 06:02 PM
linkmaster6
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start, 98 Dodge Neon

So here is my sad tale...

I have a 98 Neon DOHC that no longer wants to start. Battery has tested fine (took it to Crappy Tire), hasn't been running rough or anything lately.
At first I was hoping that it was just the ignition switch (When rolling the key on to START, the radio wouldn't go out like it normally would. That's what caused me to suspect it), but after replacing it when turning the key to START I can hear an electronic high pitched whine coming from under the hood.
I'm not getting any clicking from the starter, and (if anyone would be so kind to fill me in on its meaning) on my dashboard I'm getting (P)(!).

Any help would be great.

Also I'm not suspecting the starter its self because I had a brushing kit put into it 4 months ago and the guy who did it for me said it was in really good shape otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 PM
chew*
Professional

The first step I would take is to have a buddy come over and help you.

Grab a test light and first test for constant 12v power at the starter.

After that I would hook the clip end of a test light to the signal wire on starter and you are going to want to touch the other end to ground on your battery. Seems a bit backwards but it will keep your hands away from possibly moving parts

If there is no signal there when key is turned in park then we can move on. If there is signal your starter is still bad regardless of what you were told.

The next place inline to check would be at the neutral safety switch as it goes from ignition to nuetral safety and then from there to starter. This is located on the top of your transmission where the shift rod will connect.

If you do not have power there on start then I would suspect something in the ignition switch.

Hope this helps.

I can fire up my mitchell program later to give you exact color codes if needed.

If it is at ignition switch I would advise not touching anything wrapped in yellow tape, bright yellow wires or bright yellow cable sleeving. That would be for airbag and would be very very bad...

Last edited by chew*; 09-19-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
linkmaster6
Amateur

Had my wife come out and turn the key for me. The noise I'm hearing is coming out of the starter relay
Tried hooking up my OBD2 reader to it, doesn't come back with any codes but the Check Engine light is coming on and flashing 5 times.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:08 PM
linkmaster6
Amateur

Chew could you check something for me on your mitchell program? I found this: http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/elect-17.pdf detailing how to test the ignition switch itself. for my car I believe it to be the large gauge black wire and large gauge red wire

Last edited by linkmaster6; 09-20-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 PM
chew*
Professional

Originally Posted by linkmaster6
Chew could you check something for me on your mitchell program? I found this: http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/elect-17.pdf detailing how to test the ignition switch itself. for my car I believe it to be the large gauge black wire and large gauge red wire
I will fire it up in AM and post up a diagram plus a flow chart for ya.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 PM
linkmaster6
Amateur

Had some time tonight and removed the starter. Does anyone know of a test that can be done on a solenoid while it is out of the car?

*** Found an answer to my own question, found here:
http://www.carbasics.co.uk/how_to_te...rter_motor.htm

Last edited by linkmaster6; 09-22-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM
chew*
Professional

Had some time tonight and removed the starter. Does anyone know of a test that can be done on a solenoid while it is out of the car?

*** Found an answer to my own question, found here:
http://www.carbasics.co.uk/how_to_te...rter_motor.htm
Here's your starting circuit for the 98 Neon

Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 PM
linkmaster6
Amateur

Gave my starter a quick test and it fires fine so my theory about it being the solenoid looks to be dead .
Looking at the diagram (thanks by the way), I'm going to assume what is labeled as generator is actually the solenoid right?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM
chew*
Professional

Gave my starter a quick test and it fires fine so my theory about it being the solenoid looks to be dead .
Looking at the diagram (thanks by the way), I'm going to assume what is labeled as generator is actually the solenoid right?

Generator would be your alternator.

So basically here is your possible culprits.

First eliminate a bad battery connection to starter.

Verify power going to solonoid at starter.

If no power next in line looks to be relay at fuse box or main power fuse.

If power there next in line looks to be neutral safety.

If power there then check at ignition switch.

It would also not hurt to verify you have a good ground to engine somewhere.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:43 AM
linkmaster6
Amateur

Tell me something...
I'm going to assume that that diagram is more a less a generic engine electrical diagram and not specific to any particular engine or car, that lead going from the generator to the starter that has the fusible link in it is that an actual fuse?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't start, 98 Dodge Neon