1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

ground locations

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
gearhead1969
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up ground locations

Hello, this is my first post. I'm new to the forum.
I've recently aquired a (not running) 1998 neon sohc/auto. There is no spark or injector pulse. although both have voltage supplied they have no pulsing ground so they do not fire.
The pcm, crank sensor and cam sensor have all been replaced. the fuses and relays all test good.
I suspect there may be missing ground straps which are causing the issues. I need to know where to look for the engine and chassis ground.
I used to to do a lot of wrenching but I'm kinda rusty and unfamiliar with this car so thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should help...

Originally Posted by 98NeonSedan
You cant miss this one, it connects the chassis to the battery (-) terminal:

This one can go to just about any place on the engine, but the coil pack bolt is pretty common. Engine block to chassis ground

This one is pretty well hidden and is the chassis to transaxle ground.

And this one can only be seen clearly from underneath unless the fans are out. It connects the battery (-) terminal to the engine block

Lastly here is the spot on the engine wiring harness that is very likely to rub bare and ground out, causing all sorts of weird behavior.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
gearhead1969

now that's the kind of help I was looking for! I don't think the strap for the transaxle is present(I'll have to go look again) and the "rub spot" sounds like a prime suspect. thanks a bunch.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM
DeathKnight

Thanks for those pics and info! I was having an issue with a supposedly weak starter motor on my '96 sport coupe. Went through all kinds of troubleshooting. Decided to look up ground locations to see if I was missing anything. The chassis to engine strap on the rear passenger side seen here was mislocated:

It was attached to one of the exhaust manifold to cat pipe bolts. It's been like that since I can remember (was probably reattached there many years ago during a repair or something). Hooked it up to a coil pack bolt and the starter seems to be turning the engine over much quicker. I'll be keeping an eye on it to make sure.

Electrical gremlins can be quite a pain in the ***!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Feel free to add more grounds, especially if the factory straps are missing. Larger cable encouraged.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 AM
mattydee

Originally Posted by DeathKnight
Thanks for those pics and info! I was having an issue with a supposedly weak starter motor on my '96 sport coupe. Went through all kinds of troubleshooting. Decided to look up ground locations to see if I was missing anything. The chassis to engine strap on the rear passenger side seen here was mislocated:

It was attached to one of the exhaust manifold to cat pipe bolts. It's been like that since I can remember (was probably reattached there many years ago during a repair or something). Hooked it up to a coil pack bolt and the starter seems to be turning the engine over much quicker. I'll be keeping an eye on it to make sure.

Electrical gremlins can be quite a pain in the ***!
Just registered to say this:
Mine was connected to the air filter assembly metal holder, that holds it to the back of the engine. Will relocated it to the coil pack and see if my electrical issues improve.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:03 AM
proturf

Is there a way to get the photos to open in these old posts?

Old 12-10-2016, 08:45 PM
sabin420
Captain

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
Feel free to add more grounds, especially if the factory straps are missing. Larger cable encouraged.
I changed out all my ground straps with 8-4 gauge automotive speaker ground cable. Not only do you get excellent power flow, but it looks good too.

Make sure you sand any paint, dirt, and clean the oil off of the area where the wire will be touching the metal for the best connection possible.

To prevent rust from destroying the connection in the future, grab a can of clear coat spray paint and paint over the completed connection to seal it off from the environment.
(The connection must be tight and unable to wiggle around for this to work properly. That means bolted tightly to the chassis. No sheet metal screws cause those work their way loose over time. Must be on a torqued threaded bolt.)

Quick Reply: ground locations