1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Transmission drain/fill photo guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Flash4142
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission drain/fill photo guide

I was unable to find any truly informative guides on the general internet about maintaining the transmission, so I created a photo guide as I drained and filled my Manual TransaXle. Hope this helps somebody.

Vehicle is a 1998 Dodge Neon R/T MTX.

I'm using these fluids:

and the back of the Lucas bottle for those interested:

This is a look into the driver's side wheel well towards the filler hole, capped with a rubber plug. Each photo gets closer. Wheel is turned to the left for a view.

I turned the wheel to the right so that I could reach the plug.

You can just see the plug in the dark area. JUST enough room for my big hands.

Now a view at the drain plug. The tire in the photo is the drivers side front tire. The bolt is a 15MM.

I removed the bolt and let it drain.

I inspected the drain bolt and it's plastic gasket. When re-installing the bolt do not over-tighten it, the plastic will break. No torque is needed, just get it tight and it will be fine. Make sure all surfaces are clean.

This is how I held a pair of standard pliers in relation to the rubber plug as I removed it from the filler hole. A little wiggle and it should pop out just fine.

A closer view of the plug for part # if anyone needs it.

A look at the drain hole with plug removed.

I wedged a funnel with a built in hose, between the splash guard and the shock/strut.

The hose ran under the splash guard into the hole and I was able to pour hands free.

The big problem I had was the angle of the tube. For anyone else doing this I highly recommend following the next photos and running a longer tube in a different area. If I ever do this again I will run a tube next to the master cylinder so I can get more vertical. The lucas was so thick that it took me 1 hour 38 minutes just to get the bottle through the tube, then I was able to add the gear oil.

You can see the tube still running in there.

I was just able to get the gallon jug in at the angle needed inside the wheel well, without moving the funnel.

When it is full it will begin to flow out the side of the hole. Pinch the funnel like you choked on a beer bong to stop the flow, pour it back in the bottle, and replace the rubber plug!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up. May I ask why you were changing the fluid. Some neon owners have reported issues after using the Lucas oil treatment in their ATXs, but don't know about MTXs. I don't know about the Coastal gear as well. Everyone I know uses the dealer fluid, Pennzoil Syncromesh or Redline.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Flash4142

Thank you. I changed it because I had developed a slow leak and wanted to add the lucas to hopefully slow it down til I could afford to rebuild my transmission. I will literally be skipping some meals to even afford this, which is why I went with the coastal.

When I began to drive it to work, I noticed right away that the lucas was way too thick for this, and their instructions to add a whole bottle were WRONG. Knowing nothing about transmissions I can tell that it wasn't able to do it's job properly.

Firstly, it wouldn't shift correctly. I just couldn't get the shifter into the gears. There were 2 distinct points in each gear position at which the shifter would halt and I would have to wiggle it and force it into place. (I was already in freeway traffic on my way to work, no chance to baby it) Then along with the sticky shifter, I started to feel a slight grind as it finally slid into gear. I knew this was a problem but could not stop. I parked it, worried but unable to inspect. When I started it to go to lunch, there was a loud rattle, or chattering noise, regardless of gear position. Pushing in the clutch makes it go away and letting the clutch out begins a rattle and drops engine rpms. I've never touched a transmission yet so I have no frackin' clue how to diagnose or research other than pleading to google.

So I turned the car around and left it in the parking lot, skipped lunch since I blew my money on the repair anyway, and now I'm wondering if I should tow it home. I live about 4 miles away but the tranny sounds like a box of bolts being shaken vigerously.

Also, when the rattling began, the shifting went perfectly smooth, except I can't get into first unless I'm already rolling. I ended up driving it about 300 feet total because my radio drowned out the noise, didn't hear it until I shut my radio off.

Can't help but feel I killed my second wife (meaning the car) by putting that thick lucas in and starving some bearings from lubrication or something.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 AM
das2123
Legend

Well its just the tranny and not the engine. If you get the money together, I have the tranny from my acr with about 100,000 miles on it for sale. Shifted smooth with no grinding for $275 shipped.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Flash4142

Well I'll be taking you up on that when I save up enough. So the tranny's are pretty much universal across the 1st gen years/trim lines?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 PM
das2123
Legend

There were basically 2 mtxs available on the 1gn neon. The 3.55 and the 3.94. The 3.55 is the gas saving tranny that came on most models. The 3.94 came on the ACR, R/T and I think the 95 coupes. They all swap right in.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:57 PM
99-neon

So is it correct to fill it till it starts coming out? How many quarts do you think it took to fill? After looking up the Redline stuff I came up with the "MTL" or the "MT90", anyone have an idea which one to use?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
das2123
Legend

I fill it till I see it pour out. You should be able to use the MT90.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 PM
me696979
Rookie

I use the synchromesh

Old 11-12-2012, 02:11 AM
PatTheOne

Ive got the 99 R/T. Just bought a new filler plug as it appeared that i was leaking fluid from that point. I dont know when the or if the fluid has ever been changed so thats my job for this week... How much of the transmission fix did you use? I was thinking of using some as a preventitive measure.

BTW, the guide is exactly what i have been looking for.. Great job

Quick Reply: Transmission drain/fill photo guide