1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 neon fuel pump fuse blowing out?

Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 PM
YourXdadsXstdz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 neon fuel pump fuse blowing out?

hey guys i have another issue here and i did the head swap and turned out amazingly great and nice lol but i have now another issue and it has to do with my fuel delivery system lol my car ran and worked good and could here the gas pump charge before starting the engine now this was about end of December, now i tried starting my car up after i finished the swap and now wont start and i cant hear the fuel pump charge even with a good fuse. now when i try to start it it blows the fuze every time i crank it??? need some help so far people tell me it is the fuel pump, but am not sure if it went bad? please help

Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by YourXdadsXstdz
hey guys i have another issue here and i did the head swap and turned out amazingly great and nice lol but i have now another issue and it has to do with my fuel delivery system lol my car ran and worked good and could here the gas pump charge before starting the engine now this was about end of December, now i tried starting my car up after i finished the swap and now wont start and i cant hear the fuel pump charge even with a good fuse. now when i try to start it it blows the fuze every time i crank it??? need some help so far people tell me it is the fuel pump, but am not sure if it went bad? please help
Unplug the pump and flip the key, if it still burns out its not the bump its a short. Sometimes when a pump is bad or going bad it can cause the electrical to warm up and pop a fuse. Usually happens when the pump is done done.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 PM
YourXdadsXstdz

ok so how would i unplug the pump? do i pull the relay? also like i said it worked fine before i did the head swap and it was sitting for about 5 months i dont believe it is a short i didnt mess with the wiring just the magnetic sensor on the cam and injectors, could it maybe be the pump got gunked up from the sitting fuel and is causing it to blow out the fuse? and there is no pressure of anykind in the fuel rail?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

ok so how would i unplug the pump? do i pull the relay? also like i said it worked fine before i did the head swap and it was sitting for about 5 months i dont believe it is a short i didnt mess with the wiring just the magnetic sensor on the cam and injectors, could it maybe be the pump got gunked up from the sitting fuel and is causing it to blow out the fuse? and there is no pressure of anykind in the fuel rail?
Think about an electric motor. If you were to stop the motor and hold it not allowing it to turn, it will have a big amp draw. Big amp draw will blow the little amp fuse. Pumps can go bad just from sitting, thats not uncommon.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:37 PM
YourXdadsXstdz

sweet thanx for that i changed to fuel pump and went with a 255 walbro pump from modern performance lol now i have another question now that i changed the pump do i have to go with a stronger fuze or what should i do because i turn the key and now i can hear it charge and turn it on for a few seconds and it blows the fuze again but it starts now lol before it would blow it when i turned it over but now it starts at least for about 3 seconds?? help
p.s. i checked the wire harness and i don's seem to find any short in the wires?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

sweet thanx for that i changed to fuel pump and went with a 255 walbro pump from modern performance lol now i have another question now that i changed the pump do i have to go with a stronger fuze or what should i do because i turn the key and now i can hear it charge and turn it on for a few seconds and it blows the fuze again but it starts now lol before it would blow it when i turned it over but now it starts at least for about 3 seconds?? help
p.s. i checked the wire harness and i don's seem to find any short in the wires?
Sounds like a weak ground is causing the issue, Give it a better ground and see if that eliminates your issue. Check the wiring again also, the wires heating up could cause damage somewhere. But since you did the pump unplug test, that leads me to believe the + has no shorts. A weak ground would be the next thing on the list. One last though. Did you ever remove the factory regulator for a spool boy mod or anything?

Last edited by I_Ride_Neon; 09-17-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM
YourXdadsXstdz

so i was messing with a wire its a solid green with a orange stripe it bolts to the head by the cam magnet above the EGR but i took it off and it started right up didnt blow the fuse let it idle and then i tried to put that wire back on and once i did that it popped the fuse idk what that wire is for though? it went on the old 2.0l head and it is the 2.4l head now? idk if the new head needs it or not? now my fans wont turn on for my radiator my brother says it might be the coolant temp. sensor cause it did that to him last time and i just replaced the fan relay last december?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

so i was messing with a wire its a solid green with a orange stripe it bolts to the head by the cam magnet above the EGR but i took it off and it started right up didnt blow the fuse let it idle and then i tried to put that wire back on and once i did that it popped the fuse idk what that wire is for though? it went on the old 2.0l head and it is the 2.4l head now? idk if the new head needs it or not? now my fans wont turn on for my radiator my brother says it might be the coolant temp. sensor cause it did that to him last time and i just replaced the fan relay last december?
Pull the automatic shutdown relay, with the wire hooked up, and crank the car. Did it blow the fuse? The automatic shut down relay is the only other thing on the fuse besides the fuel pump relay. I think the wire you mentioned hooks to a "noise suppressor" on the head which is wired into the injectors.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 PM
YourXdadsXstdz

but what is the auto shutdown for? if i leave it off would it harm anything if it starts and doesnt blow the fuse? and if it is that what would i have to fix if it dont blow the fuse?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/sens...-shutdown.html

it could be the relay itself. Taking out the relay wont allow the car to run. All your doing is stopping power from going to that circuit, I don't see how it could harm anything. So in theory when you pull the relay and crank it, the fuel pump circuit should be completed still, so if the short is in the fuel pump circuit it will still blow the fuse. If it doesn't blow the fuse put the ASD back in, and pull the fuel pump relay. Now does it blow? See what I am getting at? It will eliminate the ASD circuit or the fuel pump circuit. Its just weird that when you unplugged the fuel pump, it did not blow. But this will put it to a conclusion. I will see if I can upload a picture of my wiring diagram later today so we are on the same page.

Here are some quick pics of it. See if you can read them.
Name:  2012-09-18122917.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  132.0 KB
Name:  2012-09-18122909.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  131.8 KB
Name:  2012-09-18122850.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  125.2 KB
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...9-18122917.jpg

Last edited by I_Ride_Neon; 09-18-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 neon fuel pump fuse blowing out?