1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What would you do?? Need advice

Old 08-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Jalebate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?? Need advice

Hey guys I just picked up a 1998 4 door automatic SOHC neon from the original owner. It has only 50,2xx miles on it and it runs excellent. I am unsure if any maintenance has been done on this car at all so my question is...

Other than an oil + filter, spark plug, spark plug wires, air filter and radiator fluid drain and refill with Peak 50/50 should I replace anything else?

I do not want to go overboard if I don't have to, but I want this thing to be super reliable. Should I replace the weak head gasket now with a MLS gasket or should it last until ~100k (probably won't own the car for that long)? If I do the head gasket then I would do head bolts, valve cover gasket, cam seal, timing belt and water pump while I am at it. I have a mechanically inclined friend who could do this all for me for a decent price, but if there is no point doing this work until 100k+ miles then I don't want to waste the money.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Jalebate; 08-29-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional

Sounds good to me, don't fix it if it ain't broke...

Old 09-02-2014, 06:27 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Whats the timing belt replacement interval?

Old 09-03-2014, 12:43 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional

Timing belt replacement is normally 90/100K miles. But the timing belt is 16 years old and I'm guessing dried out. I would do the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. As for the valve cover gasket as long as there is no leaks and the plugs are dry I would leave them for now. I would do a compression test before considering changing the head gasket. I have a feeling that if you did all that work listed you may not get your money back when you sell it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you do?? Need advice