1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Bought a 2.4 Swapped R/T last week how fast are they?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:41 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bought a 2.4 Swapped R/T last week how fast are they?

I finally got on the DOHC band wagon! So a week and a half ago I found the deal of a lifetime (For a Neon owner anyway :P ), I bought a Black 4 Door R/T with a 2.4 DOHC and 3.93 5 speed for $600 and it IS sweet!.

I bought it oddly enough from a 20 year old girl who's ex had modded it and used to own it. At first glance I didn't even pay attention to it being a 2.4 until after I bought it and tried to jump start it and actually looked at the motor. I was more less looking for a straight good bodied Neon to mod...little did I know until 10 minutes after I bought it and we're signing over the title that all the mods were already done for me.

I did have to do a little fixing to the car, the front cross member/radiator support was twisted & broke from the engine (that 2.4 must have done a number on it!) I cut the old one out & welded/fabbed up a 25 lb custom I beam cross member with my brother and that front engine mount is going nowhere!. I think that's why she sold it so cheap, but either way I got the car on the road now!.

After I seen the 2.4 I hesitated to gloat about all the mods it had done until after I left.

Keep in mind, I bought it from a very hot 20 year old girl, so I really don't know what mods were done internally.

From what I can see the following mods.distinctions it has are:

AFX Performance PCM with a sticker on the dash that says "Premium Only". Not familiar with this PCM would love some info on it.

Medium to Full length header with a full custom exhaust (not sure of the brand).

Sounds a little cam'ed up to me than a normal 2.0 DOHC, not sure if that's just the way a 2.4 is or if her ex put anything bigger in cam wise, but she rips and easily will hit 7800 Rpm if the tach is to be believed, almost broke my bobble strut today bang shifting it, think I will need to get a solid one.

55mm throttle body

Iceman Intake

Unorthodox UD Pulley

What should I expect to turn for a 1/4 mile in this car? seems fast as hell!

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 10-08-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:39 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mid 15s on street tires, judging by your mods, and what others have ran with the same or more mods.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car should produce 14 sec times with a good driver. Also check the condition of the engine mounts and suspension.

Last edited by Ghost Neon 2; 11-23-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:18 AM
jrobbins1313

a sohc 5 speed runs a 14.9 stock so u should be quicker than that the sohc has 132 hp and the magnum motor has 150 the 2.4l has 150 hp so if u have a cam and full exhaust and intake it should put u around 14.5

Old 03-02-2015, 06:39 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jrobbins1313
a sohc 5 speed runs a 14.9 stock so u should be quicker than that the sohc has 132 hp and the magnum motor has 150 the 2.4l has 150 hp so if u have a cam and full exhaust and intake it should put u around 14.5
No stock sohc neon is running anything better than sub 16 sec times at the 1/4 mile track.

There are a large variety of cams for the neon. This will effect output.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:27 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A little update on my car, did the 100,000 mile tune up on it as to be sure it could take my beatings without snapping a belt and totally forgot to order a 2.4 kit and I ordered a 2.0 timing belt/water pump kit. Assembled the engine and took it for a beating and remembered that 2.4's had a longer belt to compensate for the deck height over the 2.0s...

Yes it was at that moment I realized my 2.4 is actually a 2.0 and the valve cover is the only 2.4 swapped part of the whole engine lol. Anyway, the car hauls major ***, could use some new valve seals but other than that its got a ton of power and the way it burns out on take off and between gear changes and performs against other cars that you'd think would easily beat it but the Neon ends up victorious is quite funny. I let my mom barrow it for work every now and then and caught her going through the gears smoking a mustang. Bet that dude didn't expect a blonde 57 year old woman to wax his stang in a Neon.

Quick Reply: Bought a 2.4 Swapped R/T last week how fast are they?