1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

questions about trans and gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:00 PM
tooltime
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about trans and gas

I am wanting to get a Neon to drive to work that is at least 1 hr or more away. I have found a 2 door Neon that is a 96 and a auto and trans is bad. Anyone have a idea how much the repair would be and has about 86,000 miles. The front bumper has a hole around the headlight and fender messed up. Said he hit a deer and the left window is power and don't work wants $600.00. Asked him if he knows how much for the trans to be fixed and did not know and will check and let me know. The other one i found is a 97 4 door and it has to have problems with the front end. He bought 2 tires in Jan and they are slick and has 15 inch GM wheels. Anyone have a idea what could be the problem and how far 1 tank of gas in a auto would go. The 97 said about 200 or so. That is bad seems like any info is hopeful and thanks

Old 08-02-2015, 03:43 PM
tooltime
Veteran

No one knows these questions? Come guys i know someone has had to get a transmission rebuild on here? And you got to know how many miles a tank of gas will go. Please help me i want to stay with Mopar but if cant get any info may have to go get a honda or nissan

Old 08-02-2015, 11:52 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Automatic neons are jot going to get good mileage by design. 3 speed automatic is gonna blow on the highway with no type of overdrive gear for fuel efficiency. Seek a manual or 5speed neon for better commuting mileage.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:29 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie

The two door Neon's are heavier too... So that will hurt your MPG also. Four-door sedan with 5 speed MTX gets the best mileage.

Salvage yard. Grab a MTX and the PCM. You'll get 30-35 MPG. Automatic PCM is different from MTX PCM

Headlights are about $30 new on amazon.com which includes the bulb. Bumpers are about $40 at you-pull-it yards. Transmission is $99 plus core with 30 day warranty.
http://www.vincesupullit.com/2002pri...2prices&UID=49

I have a 96, 4 door with a five speed MTX. 7 gallons ($20) gives me an average of 240 miles and that is mostly city driving.
GO with standard tires... 185-65/65/14 will give you torque and fast takeoffs. Will screw up your speedometer by about 5 MPH.
185-65/70-75/14 speedometer will read correct but your takeoffs will be longer. You're looking for economy so take off nice and easy.

I'd go with the four door and put a MTX in it if you want a economic daily driver. Great cars.

Last edited by ClaytonH; 08-19-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:12 PM
tooltime
Veteran

Thanks i did not get a neon.Want one but could not find one and when i did they were autos in the 1st gen or the owner did not call me back etc. So instead i got a honda. After tax time i may post it online to trade for a neon

Quick Reply: questions about trans and gas