1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Make the speedometer move slower?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:40 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make the speedometer move slower?

I want the speedometer to move slower... Would this be as simple as installing a resister on the wire going from the speed sensor to the PCM?

I'm looking to reduce the speed at which the speedometer moves. So It doesn't move faster than seven MPH in one second.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:34 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

What? The speedometer moved as fast as the car is accelerating. If you want it to move slower, don't accelerate so fast.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:48 AM
ClaytonH
Rookie

That's not the problem. It's the ice and snow. Winter is coming...

Old 10-17-2015, 07:08 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie

I drive like an old lady... The issue is when I hit an ice patch while braking. Or when you have to rock the car back and forth to get unstuck from snow/ice. If your speed reduces by more than 7mph in one second you get penalized.
The car doesn't have ABS so the tires are more apt lock up. I have a GPS so I have a secondary speedometer to work off of.

Have done this before in winter and did well. Averaged three penalties a week but it effects your score regardless. It doesn't matter if you speed or how fast you accelerate but how hard you brake... The thing is... if you're going up an icy road and you loose traction and your tires spin and you let off your gas... you get a penalty point. Or the stuck in driveway and rocking. Got more points for than than actual braking.

Yeah, it's cheating. Slowing the speedometer down. Muhahaha. I'll play with adding resistance to the feed wire from the vehicle speed sensor and increase as needed.
Ah, the things we do to save money.

Last edited by ClaytonH; 10-17-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Allstate??

Old 10-17-2015, 08:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

So your saying your insurance is monitoring your speed?

Old 10-18-2015, 07:47 AM
ClaytonH
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
So your saying your insurance is monitoring your speed?
Not so much your speed but braking. That and what time you drive, the number of trips you make.

Speed itself, like acceleration does not matter. It's deceleration. Go from 55mph to 30mph, like in a speed trap too quickly and BEEP.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:40 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

You 'Drive like an old lady', and 'Exceed the speed limit into Speed Traps'? Which is it?

Unless you've plugged something from your insurance company into your OBDII port, nobody knows what the hell you're doing on the roads.

You need to explain how your driving is being monitored, because this thread really makes no sense.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by dakotaff
You 'Drive like an old lady', and 'Exceed the speed limit into Speed Traps'? Which is it?

Unless you've plugged something from your insurance company into your OBDII port, nobody knows what the hell you're doing on the roads.

You need to explain how your driving is being monitored, because this thread really makes no sense.
Exactly my thoughts.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dakotaff

This is what he's talking about. I just installed these into all 3 of my vehicles. It's called Drivewise. They monitor time of day, miles, excessive braking and speed in excess of 80mph. Never thought about it from a spinning in snow perspective. Guess we'll find out this winter.

Quick Reply: Make the speedometer move slower?