1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1995 1st gen dodge neon eventually stopped startiting

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:16 AM
rdsmith7393
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 1st gen dodge neon eventually stopped startiting

my neon has ran fine for 3 years that I've had it, about 10 to 14 days ago it startd acting like the battery was losing juice. It became harder and harder to crank over and start, but once it started it ran fine. The battery remains charged but now it will no longer turn over the engine. It doesn't even click. Dash lights comeon, Headlights are real bright. but it's like the starter just died. I watched the check engine light flash: flash....flash.flash.....flash.flash.flash.flash.f lash.....flash.flash.flash.flash.flash, then it stopped. Haven't got a clue. I keep thinking that the starter went out, but I,m used to working on rigs from the 50s and 60s. I'm retired now and really dont wont to do more harm than good, so could you help me figure this out? Thank you, any help is appreciated.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:11 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by rdsmith7393
my neon has ran fine for 3 years that I've had it, about 10 to 14 days ago it startd acting like the battery was losing juice. It became harder and harder to crank over and start, but once it started it ran fine. The battery remains charged but now it will no longer turn over the engine. It doesn't even click. Dash lights comeon, Headlights are real bright. but it's like the starter just died. I watched the check engine light flash: flash....flash.flash.....flash.flash.flash.flash.f lash.....flash.flash.flash.flash.flash, then it stopped. Haven't got a clue. I keep thinking that the starter went out, but I,m used to working on rigs from the 50s and 60s. I'm retired now and really dont wont to do more harm than good, so could you help me figure this out? Thank you, any help is appreciated.
Have you had the battery load tested? How old is it? Also check and clean the battery terminals.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:33 PM
sampsontaylor

Originally Posted by rdsmith7393
Have you found an answer? I'm having same issue with my 96 neon

Old 11-27-2016, 08:03 PM
sabin420
Captain

You are throwing trouble code 12 which means battery has been disconnected from the PCM within last 50 key starts. I would check your battery terminals first, then I would check your fuses. If both of those look fine, check the wires for cracks or breaks. Last, I would check your starter. You can always take the starter off and take it up to your local auto parts store to have it tested for free.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:02 PM
sampsontaylor

Originally Posted by sabin420
You are throwing trouble code 12 which means battery has been disconnected from the PCM within last 50 key starts. I would check your battery terminals first, then I would check your fuses. If both of those look fine, check the wires for cracks or breaks. Last, I would check your starter. You can always take the starter off and take it up to your local auto parts store to have it tested for free.
I found my issue last night. 2 broke wires to the start park neutral switch. Repaired the broken wires and the engine started.

Quick Reply: 1995 1st gen dodge neon eventually stopped startiting