1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1988 dodge neon coupe

Old 05-20-2016, 01:52 PM
runner3088
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 dodge neon coupe

Does anyone know if the dodge neon coupes from 95 to 99 have rocker panels? Mine has floor has floor hack damage mainly on the lip that runs from fender to fender under there!! What's the best solution to fixing that problem?????

Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have pictures? My rocker panel on the drivers side was rotted out. On top of that the Drivers seat floor pan and the rear seat floor pans... I cut out the cancer and welded in new steel.

It's not that hard. Dirty and time consuming maybe. Think I spend about $600 in metal, MIG wire, POR 15, paint. Maybe an average of 2-4 hours a day for 2 months...

I did other stuff too though like replacing the brake/fuel lines. A-arm bushings, sway bar links and bushings. Fishing the rot around the rear wheel wells, I rebuilt the rear bumper... which was rust mites holding hands. Redid the exhaust and hangers.
Bunch of other crap. Been two years and it is holding up well. Though I do have to replace the rocker panel on the passenger side now or at least part of it.

All you really need for the rocker panels is a 12" sheet of sheet metal. Go to a metal working shop and have them make you up a length. Bend 1-1/2" of the 11" width... that will be your pinch weld.
You weld, rivet or clamp that on to your good pinch weld... and bend the sheet up to where you have good metal and weld there.
My floor was rotted so I fixed that first and than the rockers.

You post pics I'll post some... It's doable but don't plan on driving the car unless you only want cosmetic work. If you're going cosmetic get a $30 can of bondo with tigerhair...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 dodge neon coupe