1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

CV joints?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:58 AM
Newneonguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV joints?

Hey I am having a funny noise from my front wheels that is basically just a clacking sound, mostly loud when turning left or sometimes when braking but it has gotten really bad and I wanted to see if any of you have had to replace your cv joints because that is what i was told it probably is.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:24 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CV joints?

you might wanna check the the tie rods, wheel bearings, and ball joints first....lift the front of the car off the ground and wiggle the wheels....front to back: tie rod.....up and down: wheel bearing.......if it is louder when turning one way, it is usually a wheel bearing

Old 06-25-2006, 12:19 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is a CV joint, it would be your right one.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:00 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

I have that same prob,just occured yesterday, I jacked it up and did the tests and came up empty, if it is the cv joints how hard is it to replace and will it cost much?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:24 AM
05ocsrt4
Rookie

tie rods and ball joints won't make that noise, ball joints will squeek and al that fun ****, but it's most likily your CV joint or rou ball joint, jus check for play in the wheel in any direction, if none, then move your axle back and forth and check for any excessive play or noise

Old 06-28-2006, 01:35 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Ill do some more checking tomorrow, ill get the flash light out and get a good investigation going.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 AM
Bassboy
Veteran

Changing your cv joint/shaft isnt that hard to do, and will run you under 100 bux at most parts stores. To change it all you need to do is remove the nut in the center of the hub on the given shaft, jack the car up, unbolt the lower ball joint so you can get the cv shaft out, pull it out and pop the new one in. Its really easy to do, make sure you have a bucket or catch pan of some sort under the trans when you pull the shaft out tho, because it will leak. When you are complete make sure to check your trans fuild aswell.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:25 PM
93 tona
Professional

make sure you have a good prybar, it easy my first time took me like 30 minutes. remember to pull it out straight, and dont try to pull it out by han use th prybar ...

Old 06-29-2006, 03:05 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

ok thanks a lot for then info, when I looked under the car and thought about the possible job It just looked like Id have so much fun doing it lol, o and is there anyway to change my A/C condensor with out having the special tool for the belts, the bearings on it is going bad because everytime I turn on the heat or cold are it sqeals, I have another ready to put in but I remembered that the pulley has to come off first, so is there anyway I can do it without the tool? if not then off to the mechanic again

Old 07-03-2008, 06:28 PM
deezozdodge
Professional

Hey guys, check out www.ehow.com type in cv joints in the search bar and click the video tab that is above it. It will show you how to change the driveaxle (step-by-step) its pretty cool and the dude look like a convict.

Quick Reply: CV joints?