1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 neon has an a/c refrigerant leak.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 AM
lv2snwbrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 neon has an a/c refrigerant leak.

I bought a can of R134a and started to charge my a/c that wasn't blowing cold air. While charging the system I never heard the compressor kick on. So I started checking fuses and relays, all of which were fine. That's when I could hear the leak. I was able to track it down to where the area where the suction line hits the expansion valve (this is where the low pressure switch is). So I am guessing that the car has leaked out most or all of its refrigerant.

I have ordered the gasket set for the a/c system and it should be here today. Once I replace the faulty o-rings can I just start adding refrigerant and eventually the compressor should kick on or should I jumper the low pressure switch momentarily just to see if the compressor kicks on first? Also do I have to get the system evacuated or can I simply replace the faulty o-rings and add refrigerant?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

If the system is empty you wont need to evacuate it. Just turn the a/c on full blast and charge it until the a/c compressor comes on. Just dont overfill it.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:19 PM
lv2snwbrd

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping to hear. I think I read somewhere that the neon takes about 28 ounces of refrigerant. I'll just put in two twelve once cans and see if it makes a difference.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

My srt-4 was completely empty and I filled it the other day with a 12 oz can and it blows nice and cold and doesn't cycle. I am going to rock it that way for a few months to make sure there are no leaks before I suck it down and fill it up to the proper level with gauges. I am not sure of the capacity off the top of my head but it should say it under the hood or in the owners manual somewhere.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM
lv2snwbrd

Sounds good. I will look under the hood and search the internet a little more. Maybe I will just put one can in and see what happens. I definitely think looking into a set of gauges wouldn't be a bad idea, I suppose I could always look into renting a set. Still waiting on the o-rings to come in, so I am not sure if I will get to this today or not.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

At our shop we use a set from the local auto parts store that ran about $65. Works well.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM
lv2snwbrd

Okay so I had a chance to look at my ac yesterday. I replaced all the seals that I could get to earlier this week. Today I pulled a vacuum on the car and ran the pump for about 45 minutes. After I let it sit for a little while I tried to put refrigerant in it. After over an hour and only getting the better part of a 12 ounce can of R134a in the car I decided something else must be going on. Checked the fuses and they were good. Next I put 12V to the connector on the compressor and nothing! So I have to assume that my compressor is bad. Is this a correct assumption? Is there a way to check a used compressor before I put it on the car? My guess is no but just figure I would ask.

So to recap, if I put 12V to the electrical connector on the compressor with the car running and the clutch does not engage is it safe to say that the compressor is bad, and is there a way to check a used compressor before I install it in the car?

Old 06-15-2013, 11:23 AM
lv2snwbrd

So it looks like the connector on the top of the compressor is actually the high pressure switch so my assumption was wrong.

Should I jumper the connector at the low pressure switch or should i jumper the wires at the ac relay to check the operation of the compressor clutch?

Quick Reply: 98 neon has an a/c refrigerant leak.