1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

best way to clear clogged oil passage?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:22 PM
coocoobird
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to clear clogged oil passage?

Im right in the middle of my crankshaft switch and i look up and inspect the bottom of the upper block.. there is a melted plastic something or another plugging one of the holes. .. i tried to grab it with needle nose.. but just ended up pushing it further up.. now im not sure how to get it out.. any ideas? I have a feeling someones going to say compressed air.. which my air tank is in the pawn shop lol

Oh yea.. its one of the holes going to a main bearing... do these holes go up to the head? If so i will just take the top apart.. and push it on through..

Old 11-28-2006, 12:49 PM
racerx55
Record Breaker
Default RE: best way to clear clogged oil passage?

well if you had a way to force oil in somehwere else, or air in you could blow it out, you could try a shop vac and seal it to the hole and attempt to suck it out of there, maybe by taping a smaller hose to the shop vac hose, if its not lodged in tight it might pull it out, other than that compressed air is your only other hope just for the fact that you cant run the oil pump on these engines with no crank... if you could do that it would shove it right out
is there any room to get beside it with a small poker or paperclip to grab it & pull it out?

Old 11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
coocoobird
Rookie

ORIGINAL: racerx55

well if you had a way to force oil in somehwere else, or air in you could blow it out, you could try a shop vac and seal it to the hole and attempt to suck it out of there, maybe by taping a smaller hose to the shop vac hose, if its not lodged in tight it might pull it out, other than that compressed air is your only other hope just for the fact that you cant run the oil pump on these engines with no crank... if you could do that it would shove it right out
is there any room to get beside it with a small poker or paperclip to grab it & pull it out?

Well its pretty much taking the whole hole up... so getting beside it with something i dont think will work.. the vacuum trick might do it though.. will have to try that lol...

Old 11-28-2006, 08:41 PM
JDC420
Professional

If it is plastic you might be able to heat up a small steel rod, stick it into the plastic stuck in the hole, and let it melt the plastic a bit. After the plastic hardens around the steel rod you should be able to pull it out.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:49 PM
coocoobird
Rookie

ORIGINAL: JDC420

If it is plastic you might be able to heat up a small steel rod, stick it into the plastic stuck in the hole, and let it melt the plastic a bit. After the plastic hardens around the steel rod you should be able to pull it out.

Well i tried stabbing it with a nail actually.. and well.. somehow got pushed to the side now.. like the hole goes up.. then to the right i believe.. hard to tell.. sooooooooooooooo... im guessing my only recourse now is to used an air compressor.. and blow from another spot... im trying to figure out where that hole leads.. but im not really sure lol [:@] If anyone knows thatd be greaaaaaaat..

Old 11-29-2006, 01:34 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it leads to the oil ports in the head.....not sure though

Old 11-29-2006, 04:39 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

if it goes to a main bearing it most likely comes straight from the oil filter deal, i would blow air up into another main bearing oil passage next to it,and plug the others and most of your air is gonna come right back out that one open hole and hopefully force it out,all the main bearing oil holes run up into the same oil passage
if that doesnt work you might have to figure out a way to rig up a hose in a bottle, then stick the hose in a main hole, then force some air into the bottle to push fliud (oil, kerosene... whatever) up into the block

Old 11-30-2006, 03:22 AM
coocoobird
Rookie

ORIGINAL: racerx55

if it goes to a main bearing it most likely comes straight from the oil filter deal, i would blow air up into another main bearing oil passage next to it,and plug the others and most of your air is gonna come right back out that one open hole and hopefully force it out,all the main bearing oil holes run up into the same oil passage
if that doesnt work you might have to figure out a way to rig up a hose in a bottle, then stick the hose in a main hole, then force some air into the bottle to push fliud (oil, kerosene... whatever) up into the block

well i got my air compressor outta pawn so im gonna try what you said here.. and ill post back and let yall know.. thanks for the tips!!

Old 12-01-2006, 06:23 PM
coocoobird
Rookie

I got the melted plastic piece out!! woot!.. i tried blowing it out from the next bearing oil hole with all the other holes including the oil filter plugged up.. it would only get so far though.. so what i did was blow in through the clogged hole with the oil filter hole open and the rest of the bearing holes plugged.. shot it out like a bullet lol.. i did the rest the same way just to make sure nothing else was in there..

Old 12-01-2006, 06:58 PM
hnda8r
Captain

[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]
GOOD JOB!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best way to clear clogged oil passage?