1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Sell it, or drive it off a cliff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:19 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sell it, or drive it off a cliff?

Several weeks ago: My transmission got some varnish build up, causing it to not want to shift. I fixed that with a fluid and filter change.

A week ago: my trailer brake controller quit. I bought a transmission cooler. Can't decide whether or not to finish installing it.

Yesterday: I bought a new trailer brake controller, went to install it, and the P.O.'s wiring mess burst into flames beneath the driver's side floor (right by the fuel filter). My old trailer brake controller was apparently fine, as is the new one.

3:30 pm today: Return was refused on new trailer brake controller, since I stripped the wires and installed it.

5:00 pm today: Battery was dead.
5:02 pm today: Hood release cable broke.

6:00 pm today: Hand is sore from punching tree. Wallet is sore from buying unneeded $60 brake controller. Brain is sore from trying to decide whether to install $50 transmission cooler on cursed truck. Battery is probably dead again (wallet about to be $100 more sore). Hood release lever is now a conduit clamp with "hood" written on it in sharpie. I think it's trying to tell me something.

So, guys . . . should I sell it to somebody as either a beater, or farm truck, or parts truck, or massive project, or mobile meth cooker?

Or should I tie a brick to the gas pedal, drive it off of a nearby cliff, and become a youtube sensation?

Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

My main fear is that if I drive it off a cliff, it could keep going and terrorize the nearby village. I wouldn't be surprised if it decided to turn back around, drive up the cliff, and run me over.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:34 PM
clipper77
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it! every relationship has it's ups and downs.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be worse.

You could be dead.
Keep driving it. At least you KNOW what's wrong with it and it's not an Mystery Box from somebody else.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

I know. It really could be worse. I've just been spending way too much on it this past month. It was so great for the past year, and now it feels like it's imploding all at once.

I'e still only spent this equivalent on one car payment on it this whole year though.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:11 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
I know. It really could be worse. I've just been spending way too much on it this past month. It was so great for the past year, and now it feels like it's imploding all at once.

I'e still only spent this equivalent on one car payment on it this whole year though.
Exactly. That's just the way it is with these trucks, when it rains it pours. Dumps its **** on you all at once then, like a tornado, it's gone. Everything is strangely calm.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:18 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think you got to keep it and just keep on fixing things as they come up. i have been doing it with my ramcharger. just replaced the fuel pump. i know i spent at least $150 on that between the new pump, new stainless steel gas tank straps, sand blasting sand, paint and new fuel lines. this is all on top of the $300 of sheet metal i installed at the beginning of the summer. it may never seem to end but at least i don't have car payments which would cost me more than i spend on repairs.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Sniper X
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shoot, look at it from the way that once you change out all the stuff for new, you have a basically new truck and can trust it for another 35 years!!!

Quick Reply: Sell it, or drive it off a cliff?