1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Swedish 1986 D250

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 PM
firefish
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swedish 1986 D250

Got new wheels today on my D250. Mickey Thompson Classi III 16 by 8 rims with -12 mm offset. Rubber is also MT, Baja STZ, in 265/75-16. Sits perfectly in the wells and doesn't rub when turning (but it's VERY close up front).

How do I get more attachment space, what I have now is not much?

Attached Thumbnails Swedish 1986 D250-bild.jpg  
Old 07-04-2013, 06:10 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't get more attachment space, DF is limited. Use Photobucket or Tinypic and use those to upload pictures.

Truck looks nice!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice. What's it like to feed and pay taxes on that beast over there?

Old 07-06-2013, 02:04 PM
firefish
Amateur

Tax is ok, will be tax free come 2016 (30 years old then). Gas is expensive but I don't put it down as travel expenses when filling the Dodge, rather as an investment in life quality. Some spend the money on golf or whatever, I drive a V8

Old 07-28-2013, 09:29 AM
firefish
Amateur

Removed the exhaust today. It was about as bad a task as I expected it to be (I'm getting to old for this...).
I had been soaking the header bolts with WD40 for two days so all bolts broke lose with ease - except one that just broke (also with ease though). Naturally it's one of the most rearward bolts but luckily it's the right side one so access is pretty good.
I also removed the air injection pump and its manifold. The manifold was a pita to remove, I had to cut it in two pieces to get it off of the engine (kinda tight fit behind the engine). I actually had to sit inside the engine room to get to it - it's nice to have a truck with lots of space.

Next step is to plug the EGR holes and remove the snapped bolt.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

next time you may want to get something a bit stronger than wd40. wd40 is not really a penetrating oil. it beats nothing but it would still be better to use something that is a penetrating oil. i personally use liquid wrench penetrating oil because it is reasonably cheap and i have had good luck with it. also after you have sprayed the bolt with penetrating oil it is also a good idea to tap on the bolt heads lightly with a hammer. i think it actually says that on the liquid wrench penetrating oil can. suppose to help the oil seep in or something like that. i didn't break a single bolt when i took the manifolds off my 81.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:04 AM
firefish
Amateur

I actually used a product called 5-56 which is kinda like WD40 but not aviation approved. But you're right, a better product might have helped. Funny thing is that all bolts/nuts where very loose, almost to the point of me being surprised at the headers not leaking, but it still broke as soon as a started to turn it. Perhaps it has been overtorqued in the past.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:22 AM
firefish
Amateur

I couldn't get the bolt out so I had to drill and tap for a new oversized bolt. Now I've left a surprise to the next owner with the new bolt being M10 rather than whatever it was originally.

Now it's exhaust fabbing time. Dual 2,5# glasspacks that converts to a single 4" with a glasspack. Not too loud I hope but just right.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool. Do you notice anything that is region specific to your truck? I'm always interested in seeing variants of our Dodges.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:08 PM
firefish
Amateur

Originally Posted by Scooter78
Very cool. Do you notice anything that is region specific to your truck? I'm always interested in seeing variants of our Dodges.
No it's pretty much the way I would imagine your trucks are save for km/h rather than mph. And extra not-so-slim rear turn indicators as red aren't allowed here (hence the tail lights are non-blinking).

I fitted the headers and this is the first and last time I buy cheapo units (Flowtech) as the fit was really bad. They required dents on both sides (to clear the frame) and up by one exhaust port to get the nut on (the pipe was welded at an angle - idiots). And the best surprise for last, the starter don't fit anymore. I could probably, and I stress the probably, get it up if I could install it at the same time as putting the header in but there would be *******ly zero clearance between the header and the starter which would probably fry the starter over time. So I've ordered a mini starter...

Exhaust looks good though, can't wait to hear it

I've also cleaned the underside of the truck and I'm planning on spraying it everywhere tomorrow with anti corrosion wax. Whatever was there in the beginning has dried up over time and it's time for a refill.

Quick Reply: Swedish 1986 D250