1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fuel pump trouble. stumped

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:37 AM
acain
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump trouble. stumped

So what I have is a 96 ram 3500 gas .. A few months ago I started having problems starting it, like it was not getting fuel. But, I could start it by turning the key on and listening as the fuel pump made a buzzing noise for about 15 seconds, waiting for it to stop. then turn the key off. After repeating that three or four times it would fire right up. Well, dummy that I am, I put off fixing it because its a REAL pain to drop the tank, ect ect. It got worse and worse, taking more and more tries to start. Finally the other day it would no longer start at all. I turned the key and the fuel pump made the buzzing noise, but never stopped buzzing. Im assuming it was trying to prime but couldnt? Soooo... I spent twelve hours yesterday jacking it up, dropping the tank, sweating and swearing. I got a pump from a decent auto salvage for fifty bucks. (new its two hundred). They tested it out before I left with it and said it pumped just fine. So I got all finished up about ten last night. And it wouldnt start. Im pretty po'd. I poured gas in the cup part of the pump assembly before I dropped it in the tank. I put three quarters of a tank of gas in the truck. It took thirty minutes but finally it primed and ran. Figured it would be ok then, but nope. It will not prime. Its JUST like before I changed it. Is there something else causing the pump not to prime? Could it be a bad pump even though it was bench tested? I hate the thought of dropping the tank again. Ideas, suggestions, .. Please???

Old 08-10-2016, 01:46 PM
acain
Rookie

Also.. I have been searching the net and keep reading that when the pump is making that buzzing noise it's peasurizing the system. so is that the same as the pump priming? an if it wont stop the buzzing noise, is it not "priming" or is it not preasurizing the system, or both? Thanks.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:21 PM
acain
Rookie

and .. one more thing. when the truck sits in the hot sun several hours it will crank after just a couple tries, as opposed to if its cool, like in the morning or a rainey windy day, it takes a dozen key turns, pumping the gas, ect. its wierd. I tried the fuel system relay. no change.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:33 AM
acain
Rookie

will not start at all today. Could sure use some help.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:21 PM
acain
Rookie

ghost town...

Old 08-13-2016, 08:12 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You are posting in the first gen section not the second where it should be. I believe you have a wiring issue or possible problem with the pcm. Prime means pressurizing the system so it can spray fuel in the cylinders. The pcm controls the fuel pump relay if it's not coming on either will the pump. You need to figure out if the relay is not coming on or if it's the pump. Why you would put in a used pump doesn't make any sense. Don't know what condition it's in. And even if the pump is running doesn't mean you are getting fuel pressure. Need to put a gauge on it and see what you have.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:13 AM
acain
Rookie

I put a used pump in it because a new one cost two hundred dollars and I have to get to my job. Makes perfect sense to me.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump trouble. stumped