1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.7 hemi swap into 92 w150

Old 12-05-2016, 03:22 AM
Ramhunter98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 hemi swap into 92 w150

Hello i have a 1992 dodge ram w150 4x4 5 speed i recently bought a 5.7 hemi from a 2005 dodge 2500 i want to install it in my 92 for the last couple months i have been watching videos and searching forums i am coming up with very little information on how to go about this and im trying to find were i can find motor mounts for this swap and need to know if i have to do any firewall n transmission tunnel modifications? any info will be a huge help thank you

Old 12-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

How do you plan on running the engine? Carb or efi?

Old 12-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Ramhunter98

Efi all my wiring is being sent out to chris hotwire from hotwire.com they did some amazing work for a guy doing a modern hemi swap in to a second gen

Old 12-10-2016, 12:00 AM
Ramhunter98

I need help finding out where i can find motor mounts and headers that fit and i need to know how to run the exhaust?

Old 12-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You know some fabrication work is involved in a swap like this. I don't know if anyone makes motor mounts/brackets etc.. for it. Google is your friend!

Old 12-31-2016, 01:50 PM
ARobinson93

You would more than likely just have to fabricate components. Mopar performance does swap for all the early cars, but nothing for a truck. However, the truck mounting surface is just a hole in a piece of metal, nothing special.

The easiest way of doing this, and it has been done, is take the existing motor mounts off that hemi, along with engine measurements and fabricate new ones. It would honestly be really easy even for a novice welder, or a shop would be able to do it for you. Just make sure you've measured properly so that your engine fits in your engine bay.

Beyond that, just go with some tight shorty headers. Your steering shaft is gonna be a bitch if you try to make long tubes work. Even just a nice set of manifolds would be fine. And then all you'd need is an adapter plate on your existing tranny crossmember to move the attachment point forward or backward, depending where the transmission sits. You'll also need to shorten or lengthen your driveshaft, and depending on what yoke it has on it now, you may need to swap that out too.

If you're good with a welder and have a reliable driveshaft shop around, this could all be done on a saturday and you'll be good to go.

Search this Thread