1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any way to get d150 drop spindles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Rampant 150
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any way to get d150 drop spindles?

The only drop springs that you can get for these trucks are for the 94-01 ram. They are the same width, but one inch taller, so if you want a 3 inch drop, buy a 4 inch drop spring. Im going to try cutting a coil first though. The rear is easy- drop shackles.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 PM
racer9
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Rampant 150

The only drop springs that you can get for these trucks are for the 94-01 ram. They are the same width, but one inch taller, so if you want a 3 inch drop, buy a 4 inch drop spring. Im going to try cutting a coil first though. The rear is easy- drop shackles.
Take a look about halfway down this page; http://www.truckinsuspension.com/ind...=2a&page=5

Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 AM
turbododgepirate
Professional

Yes, the drop springs are available. Plus I understand that the 3/4 ton and 1 ton lower control arms will give an added 1" drop. Can anybody confirm that?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 AM
turbododgepirate
Professional

Thank you!!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM
turbododgepirate
Professional

A recap stolen from the link Racer 9 gave me.

ok so lemme do a recap for any newbies that dont wanna flip through.

we will cover not bagged methods as bags are an entire other topic in them selves.

to lower the front there are several choices.
LOWER CONTROL ARMS
many 3/4 and 1 ton 2wd trucks use a different lower control arm. the spring cup is recessed which allows the spring to set lower. you need 2 of these lower control arms, the bolts, and need to drill the mounts for the larger bolts. now is a good time to beef the lca with any poly bushings you may use and or "boxing" the lca by welding flat stock to the bottom side.

another similar option is to use the ready (or not so ready) to bolt in lower control arms from chisholm or AIM.

you can also build your own set by cutting out the spring seat, and welding in a piece of 5" or 6" diamter pipe. and welding the spring seat into this.

there is also talk of modifying the ball joint mounts for better angles.

COIL SPRINGS
this is a bit broader.

dodge use a spring that is roughly 5" in diamter and 10" in length.

most any coil spring that fits these dimensions will physically fit. take 10" minus length and that is approximate drop if springs are both about as stiff

it is then up to you to decide if the spring rate is right for you.

vehicles with smaller diamter coils (the actuall wire wrap) gnerally are softer.

the increased weight of a dodge may result in even more drop (sag)

one example: 3" drop spring for an s10. [these will fit] the drop is based on a 4 cylinder model. by installing them in a dodge with v8, drop may be closer to 5".

for a firmer ride, a stiffer spring rate is needed.

a variety of springs (5'x9.5") can be purchased through a stock car racing out fit. $40 a piece.

chisholm also carries springs

coils can also be cut to further tune to your needs. these change characteristics slightly.

note: do not heat springs and alllow them to sag. this gives a slammed look but the spring will eventually collapse.

Dropped Spindles
at one time they were available, but are no longer.
happens to be that 1980s dakotas use the same spindle.
these are available through several manufacturers.

this is a viable option to drop approx 2" w/o changing alignment or geometry.

this fits 81-93 dodge rams. in order to install these on an older ram, you must machine the spindle to accept the smaller wheel bearing or swap to a later 81-85 rotor

thats about it for the front

there are several options to get that rear down low too (unless you like a mega-rake 70s style )

Axle Flip
this is where the leaf spring is relocated. Instead of sitting on top of the axles, the leaf spring is moved under neath. To calculate drop you add leaf spring pack thickness + spring perch height + axle tube diameter + and blocks/axle shims

this is done by welding a new set of perches to the bottom of the axle. These perches can be found for about $3 through a place like northern that handles trailer supplies. Read the how to for more detailed info.

A commercially available axle flip can be installed as well. These are most any mid/full size truck with a 3� axle tube. Such as one off a 70s-87 chebby � ton.

Shackles/Hangers

this is simple. By moving the mounting points of the leaf springs, further up, the truck is lowered. There is commercially available sets for older dodges through AIM. Lowered sets for other trucks can be used. Most any hanger can be used off most any vehicle. You can simply drill new mounting holes higher up. Also you can purchase/build adjustable shackles. A longer one will result in more drop.

Leaf Spings

once again. The sky is the limit. Most any full size spring can be used if proper hanger/shackle mods are done. There are flatter springs available for many trucks. Not dodges. You can remove a leaf or 2. this will decrease load capacity and make for a softer ride but will also lower you a bit.

And shocks:

Belltech Nitro-Active Monotube Shock Absorbers $37.95-49.95
Front for a 1999-01 Silverado (same as dodge)
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....CategoryID/237
Belltech Nitro-Drop Twintube Shock Absorbers $37.95-39.95 Front for a 1999-01 Silverado (same as dodge)
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....categoryid=237
Toxic Shock Drop Shocks $32-34.95
Colored Boots $9.95
and last of all the Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks. lil spendy but got a limited lifetime warranty

Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Rampant 150
Professional

Good stuff. If you are on ramchargercentral, search for a guy named cheeto. He is one of the pioneers for this stuff and has a sick lowered first gen. Keep the thread alive.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Rampant 150
Professional

Oh and chisholm doesnt sell springs anymore.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant wait for summer. hopefully this post gets archived cause im gonna need it.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Rampant 150
Professional

Im still wondering if anyone on here knows anyone in the manufacturing business. Some custom made spindles would make my day (and all of yours too)

Old 02-09-2008, 03:48 PM
racer9
Veteran

Well I played with my rear springs today, I'll have to do the front another day.
I took it all apart except for the main leaf and put weight on it just to see where I was. The main alone droops way too much for me, so I put the next longest spring with it. That makes it nearly flat with a slight arch. Sorry, no pics, and I don't have the new u-bolts or center pins to put it all back together yet, so it's still up on stands. I'm guessing about a 3" drop.
I have no clue how it'll ride, and I may still have to experiment with some of the other leafs, but it's a start.
When I get it back together and the fronts cut, I'll post some pics.

Quick Reply: Any way to get d150 drop spindles?