1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new guy with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Nemesis Gnat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with some questions

Hey there,

So my parents have had an old 85 Dodge layin around for years, and I've decided to take it upon myself to get it running well. I know it's a half ton 2wd truck, so that would make it a D150, right? It's got the 5.2L V8 (318) and a slushy 3 speed. Also, it's a California truck, so it's ***** are being strangled with a rubber band of smog equipment. Here are my questions:

What else can you tell me about the truck? What tranny and axles and stuff do these come with stock?

What are the specs on timing/ valve clearance/ general tune up items?

Is there a manual that y'all can recommend to me (I'm a Toyota Land Cruiser guy, and we swear by our factory service manuals...)?

Is there anything short of a valve body that I can do to hop this tranny up some (play with oil levels or kick down cables or something)?

Thanks in advance for the help! Here's a pic of the truck:

Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Nemesis Gnat

nobody?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 PM
AeSix
Professional

First, welcome to DF (I think this is my first welcome too) The forums are absolutly full of information and people willing and ready to help in many ways. You've come to the right place.

Second, sometimes it's takes a while before the right person will read a new post. Not everyone will read all posts, only ones the topic appeals to them. So, with that said, be patient grasshopper

Finally, other than the transmission tweaking help, I know some of the other information can be found on the first 2 or 3 pages of the forum. Take some time and read through the topics to see about issues you're having.

Now, You're right, it's a 150. It *COULD* be a D-100, but I can't tell the differances between the two, or tell you how to check other than in the obvious places (Your title, the badge in front of the driver door, there might be a plate or sticker on the hood or on the door/door frame that will tell you)

I prefer Hayne's (spelling?) manuals, but have used Chilton's. Generally I just pick up what ever is at the auto store when I have the money and need for a manual. I'm pretty sure you'll get either of those names in response from most everyone else. Usually the stores will have one open you can look through to see. Each company pretty much has the same style for all vehicals, and are quite a bit differant than the other company. Just see which appeals most to you.

The sticker (or aluminum plate in some cases) under the hood (attached to the hood) can tell you what gear ratio, transmission and some other info, if it's still there.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I do hope you're able to find the info you're wanting!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Nemesis Gnat

Thanks for the info! Sorry if I seemed to be getting impatient. I think the Land Cruiser forum that I'm used to has me a bit spoiled...

Anyways, I'll go searching for this informative plate and pick up a Haynes manual. Tomorrow is Wrenchday!

Old 12-18-2009, 03:04 AM
AeSix
Professional

good luck with ya!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking truck and welcome to the forum. Most of your questions can be answered with a good manual that you will need to do any real work on the truck. I have bought 3 manuals to cover all of the systems in mine. It will help you identify exactly what axles, tranny, and other equipment that is in your truck. Tranny oil levels are set and not adjustable for better performance. Shift cables/linkages are adjustable if the truck is not shifting as it should but first you must ID what tranny/linkage you have. You are at a great disadvantage with the California compliant truck. If you have specific questions we are here to help but only you can ID what is in your truck and we need this info to help.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Rudebaker
Rookie

Get the trans serviced and have a shift kit put in it of it's in good shape. Buy the Chrysler factory service manual for '85 trucks. They are about $40 on eBay and will have EVERYTHING for your truck in great detail. Trust me at $40 they are a bargain.

That is a nice looking truck BTW, you don't find 'em like that just "laying around" here in the rust belt. I am SOOOO jealous!

Quick Reply: new guy with some questions