1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lowering my truck

Old 08-31-2008, 03:04 PM
mopar340cudaaar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering my truck

im a big fan of lowerd vehicals. i have an 81 d-150 i want to make go fast and add a more agressive look than it does know, my idea is to lower it... drop spindles and drop blocks, is what im looken for. has any one done it yet and if so where did you get the parts.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 AM
racer9
Veteran

Read this, http://ramchargercentral.com/index.php?topic=260.0 There was another thread on this site about it, but it must've got lost when they upgraded.
I also have an '81 D-150. I cut about 1-1/2 coils fom the front and "flipped" the rear. The main problem with these trucks when cutting coils is the front end geometry gets wacky and it can be a handful to drive.
I want to go to a rack and pinion front, with coilovers, and redo the upper control arm mounts, to improve the handling, and a 3 link rear, with coilovers. I'm debating building a frame from box tubing, and dumping the oem channel frame.
The fuel tank sits below the frame, so you might need to move it, if you get real low.
Good luck, and post some pics. Heres mine, the tires are 235's so it sits a little too high, until I get some nice wheels and lo pro tires for it.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/P1010225.jpg

Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM
mopar340cudaaar

wow!!! man that helps out tons. im thinken a 1ton control arm cut out the spring pocket add an inch of material weld it oback togethee add some plating to reignforce the arm then bolt it on. might have to modifi the ball joint mount from what i saw it was maxed out on movment just sitten ther mayby cut and bend down a bit to flaten it out so i dont smash the bushing the weld in some steel and done. the only thing that worrys me though is the control rod in front when you cut your springs does it interfer with the steering lickage like bump into it when driving??? looks like with a couple hrs work the lowerspindle mods could work out nice and be stronger than factory

Old 09-01-2008, 08:56 PM
racer9
Veteran

The distance around the strut arm doesn't change, it's all outside of there. The outer tie rods do get to an extreme angle though.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow racer id never seen youre truck before. get a gallery up shes really nice!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:37 PM
racer9
Veteran

Originally Posted by nemesis_SS
wow racer id never seen youre truck before. get a gallery up shes really nice!
I guess I should, so I have some "before and after" pics. The orange paint it had when I got it is a very poor job, with brush strokes in some areas. I painted the hood flat black, and painted the stripe around the back, just to see how it looked. It needs some dents fixed, and the rear wheel openings are rusty, but thats about it.
My plan is to paint it purple, with the black hood, and a wider stripe around the back, with the Cummins logo in it. Probably a single 5" stack. I'm also looking at hood scoops, some are real nice, just not sure what I like. Eventually I want to go with a full fiberglass, tilt front end.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 PM
mopar340cudaaar

i a trying to get a pic of my truck on my signiture but for some reson i have been unable to do so but when i do i will show of mine. wish i had photoshop so i could cut pu a pic and make it look how i want( any body have it ????) i dont se much of the 100's and 150's i the gallery it would be cool to see some more of what i am sporten in diffrent versions

Old 09-04-2008, 12:27 AM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer9
with the Cummins logo in it. Probably a single 5" stack.
GOOD. I know i sound like jerk, but inline engines and "dual exaust" bugs me.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
mopar340cudaaar

i like the way two looks. it dosent make any difrence in performance i like two just cuz they look even the whole truck has two sides having one side diffrent dosent seem right

Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 PM
racer9
Veteran

Originally Posted by nemesis_SS
GOOD. I know i sound like jerk, but inline engines and "dual exaust" bugs me.
Well, I have dual stacks on my '96 Cummins, but with the 4cyl a single will be enough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lowering my truck