1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1988 Dodge Ram 4x4

Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 AM
daugherty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Dodge Ram 4x4

I'm looking for some technical help on an old farm truck that I use. While driving down the road my truck will just stall. It will start up after a few minutes of sitting idle. I have replaced the fuel filter and the fuel relay. I thought maybe I had if fixed, but on a test drive yesterday I found myself stranded alongside the road again. As usual the truck did start and after 2 incidences I was able to limp it home. What should I work on next?

Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM
dptyscott

Has anything been done to recently. ever replaced the ditributor'tunr it up,cecked cat converter9they stop up when they go bad somtimes. need to know more but thats a start.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:41 PM
1996Ram318
All Star

I notice you said you have replaced the fuel filter and fuel relay. Have you replaced the fuel pump?

Old 12-12-2008, 02:39 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you stall and try to start it back up, what does it do? does it seem to be firing strangely, almost like it is missing some cylinders?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:03 AM
redneckokie1
Default hall effect sensor (pickup coil)

i had that problem a few times with a ramcharger i drove for 300,000 miles. the pickup coil is in the distributor. look at the end of the wire coming out of the distributor for the correct one. most have the round plug with three contacts. you will need an offset phillips to replace it.

some of the web sites have the test methods for it but they are very inexpensive and should be changed if you don't know the history of the vehicle.

hope this helps.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:49 AM
lugnuts
All Star

Hard to diagnose in the ditch but maybe this'll help pinpoint the problem. No good just throwing parts at it.
Do the obvious and look for gas spraying from the injectors when you crank it. If you suspect fuel go to the boneyard and get some fuel line fittings etc. and rig up a gauge taped to the windsheild. Tie a light into the + going to the pump and put it where you can see it. No pressure and the lights on, relay control circuit's OK,wiring or pump. TBI pressure spec. is 12 PSI. If it is the pump, I find it easier to pull the bed off than to drop the tank. 8 bolts,tail light wiring, and 4 screws on the filler neck. Set the bed back a couple of feet. Much easier.
When it dies pull a plug wire and stick a screwdriver in it and hold it close to the mtr. Crank it and check for spark. Should a good blue spark at least a 1/2" long. Weak,red or yellow replace the coil. And like Okie said try the dist. pickup too.
It's also possible the Auto Shut Down relay's coming unlatched,in which case you'll have neither spark or fuel.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:06 PM
1996Ram318
All Star

I just cut a hole in the bed of my truck. And yes, I am serious.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:25 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1996Ram318
I just cut a hole in the bed of my truck. And yes, I am serious.
my brother did that in his blazer to work on the fuel tank. honestly working on old fuel tanks - especially in areas with wet winters and salt creating lots of corrosion - is a friggen pain.

so yea, 96Ram i hear you and second that cutting thru the floor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 Dodge Ram 4x4