1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low voltage to hall effect and coil

Old 12-20-2008, 12:21 PM
lugnuts
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like what I started with. Burnt motor,trans,both axles,all the u-joints,drive shaft angles, fried wiring,brakes shot,busted up doors. Had a good transfer case though. Guess you could say I started in the middle lol.
It'll be this evening before I can check stuff out, gotta go get the wife's new furniture she's gettin' for Christmas. So much for my aluminum heads. Ah well, don't **** off the cook right?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:17 PM
lugnuts
All Star

Red, my apologies. Didn't get back from town until after dark,so I don't have those readings for you. Will get 'em in the morning gauranteed. In the mean time I've looked the wiring diagram over some more. The main components on the ASD are the injectors, fuel pump,coil+,and o2 sensor heater. Also one unspecified dk grn/blk goes from ASD to computer.

On the hall, two wires straight to the computer, one orange,one gray. Third wire is black/lt blue ties in with the various sensors,also goes to computer. I'd start checking voltages up and downstream of the ASD. If the ASD dk blue/black has full batt voltage where it leaves the relay, see what you read at the injector +. The computer should unlatch the ASD 5 sec after turning the key on unless the computer sees a crank signal.
If your reading voltage all the time I'd say you have a short, bad relay,or fried computer.
Just a guess though. Hard to say from 900 mi away lol.

Just for grins have you seen what voltage is at the fusebox? Something corroded at the fuse links or battery feed wire maybe? Fuse link feeds the ASD too.
I think there's also some grounds on the firewall close to the bulkhead connector.

Last edited by lugnuts; 12-20-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:29 AM
RedWing442

Thanks for the info. No prob on not getting back sooner. I'm just happy someone is willing to help me with this. I'll check that stuff out that you mentioned. I owe you a couple beers if we ever run into each other. Hope your wife likes the furnature. lol If the comp is fried I'm dropping in a point distributor and a 2 barrel. A new comp for it is just way too much money, and the numbers on the tag are not readable anyway so it would be hard to match up a replacement

Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 PM
lugnuts
All Star

Make it three beers, it was 19 deg. and a 20 mph wind. Tough on the desert born lol.
OK the voltages on mine are as follows:
Looking at the harness end of the dist plug, with the flat on bottom-

Lower left term. gray/blk 5v
center term. orng 9v
lower right term. blk 0v
coil + 11v
My battery shows 12.0 volts

Hooking a jumper between the bat+ and the coil + with key off I had 0v on all three. Voltage is only available with the key on. Run a jumper to coil+ with the key off and see what you get. If it's 0 chances are the circuit's OK. While you have the jumper hooked up see if it'll start. One thing about it, I found I have a leaky injector from running the jumper. No wonder the damn thing's so thirsty.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 PM
RedWing442

Thanks for checking that for me. Been busy all day hanging drywall so I've got a full morning of tests and swearing when I work on the truck. lol You wanted 3, make it 4 beers for going above and beyond the call of duty. I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 PM
lugnuts
All Star

Watcha sheet rocking? Just redid our living room,so been doing some myself. About finished need to touch up some paint, have 2 peices of trim to make yet. Glad it's almost over.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 PM
RedWing442

Well, it's the computer. Damn thing pulled a Ford on me. lol I've been remodeling a polebarn into a house. To make a long story short, we lived near Detroit, lost my job and our house so we moved up north onto my parents property. Thank god for them or my wife and I would be screwed. Tomorrow I pick up the new distributor and I've already got a carb. I'll let you know how it runs. Thanks for all the help.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:02 AM
lugnuts
All Star

Hate to hear about your job and home. That just sucks. Been slowing down here a little too since oil prices slid. My job is fairly secure thankfully. A lot of pumps here to work on and they have get rid of their produced water somehow. If they'll give me 5 more years I'll have this place paid for. Good luck to you and the wife, maybe it'll turn around soon.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 AM
RedWing442

Thanks Lugnuts, the luck is getting better. Good to hear your job is secure. This economy is a bad joke at best. lol I didn't get a chance to wrench today, got too busy with Christmas and all, shopping shopping shopping. I'll be swapping out parts on the mighty Dodge in the morning. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas, talk to you soon.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:01 PM
RedWing442

I got the point distributor in, fired right up with some starting fluid but I couldn't get the TBI to work. I was still waiting on the parts store to get the adaptor plate in for TBI to carb conversion, but cuz they're too slow for my blood, I ordered it from Summit. I'll have it January 2nd. Parts store gave me my money back thankfully cuz they didn't know when it would be in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low voltage to hall effect and coil