1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing with my W150

Old 11-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Dodge_Ram_3500
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with my W150

Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys thought about towing with my truck, a buddy of mine is buying a 1985 Chev plow truck, its half ton 4wd, 7.5 fisher. Going to be using a 12x6 car trailer (checked and it should fit). My truck is a 91, the frame is solid, and has a good Reese hitch on the back. I figure my truck should pull the Chev pretty good, I've got the 318, with the low range 4spd manual trans. Its got alot of kms on it, but doesnt burn a drop of oil or coolant, and runs as smooth as new. What do you guys think?

Old 11-26-2009, 03:06 AM
AeSix
Professional

go slow.
towing won't be the problem... stopping on the other hand...
If you'd had any thoughts about changing your breaks pads and checking your drums/roters... now would be a good time

know about how much the truck and plow weight?
You might be a little better off if you can take the plow off and load it in the bed. Probably won't happen that way though

Old 11-26-2009, 07:20 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hauled an explorer, which is actually heavier than the chevy pickup, from Baltimore Maryland to Roanoke Va. on a trailer with no problems other than leaving more stopping distance. That is a pretty hilly trip and I live on top of Bent Mountain. I did put it in 4 wheel low when I hit our gravel road because it is really steep. Plows weigh about 600 lbs so if you can haul that separate it would really help.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Dodge_Ram_3500
Veteran

Hey guys thanks for the replies! I think the silverado weighs in at around 3830lbs. The brakes on my truck are brand new up front, seems to stop good now, plus I'll use the transmission to slow down alot like I normally do. As for the plow, we'll have to take it off I think so the truck will fit, the trailers not as big as we initially thought. Thanks again guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing with my W150