1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

w150 318 727 kickdown adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
NAR-D150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default w150 318 727 kickdown adjustment

well i put the new carb and intake on and when putting into gear it wants to die so i believe the kickdown linkage is screwed up. how do you adjust it? i heard that the throttle should move with the kd lever so im assuming that the throttle is supposed to be all the way back on the slider so when it moves there is no slack in the slider (i dont get the point of the slider if there is not supposed to be slack why not make it a single bolt on so it cant slide?)......so i just put a nut and bolt since the carb part is all the way at the fromt of the slider so it would have no slack and it seemed to run better but im not sure if that is the right thing to do, and then how do you adjust the bottom sliding linkage by the transmission underneath? thanks a lot

Old 04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
jdog
Amateur

sounds like your idle is to low if it dies if it shifts to fast then ur kick down is off also the slider is there to let the throttle move forward when you let off i believe but i would adjust your idle

Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 PM
jdog
Amateur

also did you take out the distributor when you change your manifold cause your timing could be off also

Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adjust the throttle pressure(kickdown) so that when the carb is wide open,the kickdown is pushed back all the way also,and make sure the springs are in place.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
NAR-D150

so the bottom should be adjusted so when im at wot the lever is all the way back, apposed to adjusting so the lever all the way forward at idle? (i hope you know what i am trying to explain) in other words it doesn't matter how far (pushed towards the back of the truck) the kd lower tranny lever is during closed throttle it just matters that it can not be pushed back any more during wot? also is there supposed to be any slack when the throttle moves up top in the linkage (in other words if the pedal is pushed at all the pin is adjusted so it is all the way back and moves instintaionously with the throttle) because after carb and intake put on i can not get the lever to move forward any more so there is no slack in it so i put a nut and bolt in the slider right by the carb sliding pin so there was no slack......il try and get pics tomorrow if the weather is nice

Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 PM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the kickdown is set so it is all the way back with no pedal action you will go into top gear almost instantly( pulling out in third).
Set it the way I said,as long as the carb comes to an idle,it does not matter where the kickdown is as long as the carb and kickdown all the way back equally at full throttle.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 PM
NAR-D150

so i did that....., put the throttle all the way open and kickdown all the way back and bolted it tight by the trans, well took it for a test drive and it kind of slips twice while going into second but no slips into third. so i moved the block on the bottom linkage back (towards the rear of the truck) a 1/4 inch and it seems fine now

Old 04-21-2009, 11:15 PM
NAR-D150

well its 10:06pm here and since iv done this adjustment so many times i got by in the dark parkinf lot at school. so i know it is (the trans lever on the bottom) supposed to be at its limit at wot, but i tried that and it was roughly in the middle of the rod (the little bolt adjuster block), and the shifts were still sloppy, but what i did was moved it all the way back on the rod so it limits out earlier even though i know that it will limit out a little before wot and this did the trick the shifts are pretty good much more firmer and no slop or popping in and out of second on 1-2 shifts. my question is is this ok becasue it is hitting the limit on the trans lever right before wot (i am never going to floor the truck), is it bad for the transmission?

Old 08-25-2012, 01:12 PM
dodgeisawesome
Default no second gear

i have a 86 d150. i have been driving it for about a year an a half. my question is about the tranny it doesnt shift hard or slip at all but it simply doesnt shift into 2nd gear. i was told that the tranny was going out but from what iv been told normally it would slip if it was going out. i was wondering if it could be the kickdown linkage? any help would be appreciate it thanks

Old 08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
tm350
Default throtthe body flap

i would of adjusted the flap so it flat all the way open for trick mopar tune. more air flow.

Quick Reply: w150 318 727 kickdown adjustment