1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaf spring issues!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Reps'87Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Leaf spring issues!

I drive a 1987 Dodge 150 4x4 360. I have a typical North Eastern salt issue on the under carriage of the truck. Unfortionately, the salt is winning Anyway, with that said, I have leaf spring issues. In my last post, I wrote about how the leaf spring came dis-lodged from the frame rail hanger, and how and where I can purchase used or new hangers. Well, I found slightly used hangers and purchased them for pennies on the dollar!! Now the issue at hand is tearing apart the used hangers that have everything included. (the last owner just cut off the leaf with a torch) Should I replace the leaf spring bushing? Can the bolt that is through the bushing be removed or does it have to be cut off? If I replace the old bolt, can I just use a grade 5-8 bolt in it's place? Is there anything else I should know about this task at hand? Please offer any advice and / or help for my continuing saga... Thanks again for your time!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just get a good look at the bushing, if its cracked or coming apart i would replace, but they are a little difficult to replace, shouldnt have to torch the bolt, and a grade 8 bolt should be plenty enough

Old 11-06-2009, 09:29 PM
BLKRAM3

Sorry i didnt get back to you sooner at you old post, snooze you loose!
Grade 8 bolts are what the dealer would sell you, but you'll get them cheaper elsewhere. You'll need to grind off and puch out the factory rivets that fastened the old mount to the frame (assuming they are still the original mounts) as for the thru bolt, i had a pretty tough time pulling it out of the old bushing, and chances are everything is rusted to crap anyway. I would say save yourself the headache and go new. i would also reccomend hitting the frame up with some rust converter or rustoleum before you bolt the new mount on.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 PM
JollyRoger85
Professional

I agree definitely go with new hardware. I went through the same thing when I put my lift on. Everything's rusty and nothing works like it should... Grade 8 is the way to go.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Reps'87Ram

Thank you all for the info. VERY HELPFUL!! I have been working on tapping out the old rivets on the broken hanger. Trust me, NOT fun! I allready purchased Black rustoleum, and I am going Monday to get the grade 8 bolts. Keep checking back for future posts from me and my rusty Dodge project! Oh yeah, I will be posting pics soon. Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:20 AM
JollyRoger85
Professional

Not sure how you're getting the rivets out but I did mine pretty easily with a torch... just get a 3/8" piece of rebar or something and a hammer, heat them up red and smack them with the bar... they come out surprisingly clean, I was skeptical at first but it worked well.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Reps'87Ram

Thanks for the info! I tried grinding off the rivets and just ended up getting frustrated!! I am going to try heating them up this time and punching them out! Thanks again for your help! To Be Continued...

Quick Reply: Leaf spring issues!