1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Idling and Acceleration Problems on my 1988 Ram! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Zippo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling and Acceleration Problems on my 1988 Ram! Please Help!

Hello!

I am new to the forum, and I would like to thank everyone in advance for their help. This seems like a great forum for all the Dodge enthusiasts out there!

I own a 1988 Dodge Ram D150 with a 6 cylinder engine that began having trouble idling a few months ago.

The truck will start right up every time but its idle is very "hesitant" and "weak" and sometimes it will stall while idling.

Also, under acceleration it bogs down, most of the time barely moving before it stalls out, and when coming to a stop it will stall as well.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) I ran the engine codes and received the following: 12(Memory standby power lost), 33(A/C cutout relay circuit), and 55(End of message).

2) I sprayed some carb cleaner on the vacuum lines to test for a vacuum leak, and there doesn't seem to be one. (I'm thinking about going back to this step and using propane instead of carb cleaner as I hear propane is a more effective method of testing for a vacuum leak.)

3) I installed a new air filter.

4) I installed a new fuel pump.

5) I installed a new fuel filter.

6) I installed new spark plugs and spark plug wires.

7) I replaced two vacuum lines that were in poor condition.

8) I installed a new EGR(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve.

9) I installed a new distributor cap and rotor.

10) I tested the TPS(Throttle Position Sensor) with a multimeter, and it is functioning properly.

11) I tested the MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor with a multimeter and a hand vacuum pump, and it is functioning properly.

12) The catalytic converter was removed to rule that out as a possible cause(currently in its place is a straight exhaust pipe).

After all this, I'm still having idling and acceleration issues!

Please help! I love my Dodge, but I am truly stumped on this one! Once again, your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Idling and Acceleration Problems on my 1988 Ram!  Please Help!-photo_060308_001.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds like it is a timing problem. you need to loosen the clamp on the distributor until you can turn the distributor. then start the truck and rotate distributor till it starts to run a better. then tighten down the clamp. it would help if you had a timing light but necessarily needed.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Zippo

Thanks for the tip!

I will start looking into detail on how to perform this operation, as I am currently unfamiliar with adjusting timing. (Although my brief research a few minutes ago suggests a timing light is crucial for this procedure.)

I will let you know how it goes.

While I'm looking into this, any other suggestions you guys can offer on possible solutions for my idling and acceleration problems?

Thanks again!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 AM
ol'dodge4x4
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tasted the fuel pressure? Iknow that you changed the pump but that does not mean that the pressure regulator is working correctly. I assume that this is a V-6

Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i tried using a timing light with my old v6 and if i listened to the timing light my truck would have been idling at 2000 rpm.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Zippo

I have not tested the fuel pressure, and yes, my truck is a V-6.

On the entire list above of diagnostics and replacements that were performed on the truck, the only one not performed by myself was the replacement of the fuel pump. This was done by a family mechanic.

And, because I did not perform this myself, I have always wondered if he made sure to check the regulator while he had the tank dropped. (I understand Dodge fuel regulators are in the tank rather then along the fuel rail?)

So, I will begin looking into checking the fuel pressure, and will let you know what I find!

Any idea on what the fuel psi should be for my truck?

Thanks!

Last edited by Zippo; 01-12-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The regulator is on the throttle body. The pressure is 14-15 PSI with regulator vacuum hose connected and 18-20 disconnected. A bad injector will cause the symptoms you have stated.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Zippo

"SEAL", thanks for the tip! So, I would hook up the fuel gauge between the regulator and the throttle body? That seems like it would be a fairly accessible and easy thing to do?

Also, my Ram is does not have injectors.

Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have injectors forget what I posted. The information I have says your vehicle should have a throttle body not a carburetor.

Quick Reply: Idling and Acceleration Problems on my 1988 Ram! Please Help!