1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

91 D150 wiper arm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 PM
olscout99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 D150 wiper arm?

Has anybody found a wiper arm that will work on the 91-93 Ram trucks besides one from a dealer? I've hit all the parts stores, iincluding NAPA and Carquest only to find they're not available and not even listed. Not finding any in the local JY's either. I've run across situations before on my IH Scouts where parts are a direct replacement but for some reason they're not listed in the parts books, and I figure that the wiper arms on the Rams can't be a total 'one off' for those three years. Any help would be appreciated, $60 for a wiper arm from a dealer for a $900 truck doesn't seem too feasable to me. TIA!

Old 01-16-2010, 01:07 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Advance Auto Parts
manufacturer:MotorMite
P/N 42574
$19.99

I would go to a junk yard first but that is just me.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:14 PM
olscout99
Default Wiper arm

Originally Posted by SEAL
Advance Auto Parts
manufacturer:MotorMite
P/N 42574
$19.99

I would go to a junk yard first but that is just me.
OK, thanks....is that the number for a 91? I notice you have an 89 listed in your sig, from what I was told arms are listed for 90 and under and 94 and up, but not for the 91 to 93 models. Everybody seems to think that if the pre-91's were the same they'd just continue the listing on, but as I said, I've run across situations where that isn't necessarily so....thanks again!
Edit- I just crossed that number, it shows that it's listed to fit 87 to 96 Dakotas. If so, and if it's right, that's simple, plenty of those in the boneyard, not so many Rams.

Last edited by olscout99; 01-16-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:01 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't see why the wiper arm off an older truck would not fit. they all pretty much have the same cab and same windshield. i would have to guess they have not changed the wiper setup much either.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:20 PM
olscout99
Default Wiper arm, 91 Ram

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i don't see why the wiper arm off an older truck would not fit. they all pretty much have the same cab and same windshield. i would have to guess they have not changed the wiper setup much either.
I tend to agree with you, I was hoping somebody that's had one of these longer than I have (a week) would have dug into this and found one that worked for sure. I know when I went into Carquest and asked for it, another parts guy that wasn't waiting on me told the guy that was 'you aren't gonna find it, they don't list it'. He went on to say that I was the third person in a week that had been in looking for a wiper arm for a 91-93 Ram truck. He also said they had the ones for the earlier model trucks (90 and under) but he didn't know if they were the same as 91-93, and I didn't want to pay a Carquest price to find out. I may have more luck finding an older Ram in the JY that I can pull one off of and try, along with the Dakota one, at least I probably won't pay more than a couple of bucks for them so not much lost if they don't fit. I do know from doing lots of online hunting that the wiper blades are the same from 82-93, wiper linkage bushings are the same, so it would stand to reason that the wiper arm stubs would be the same spline count and size....in fact, I think the wipers on my 94 Dakota were also 18" like the Ram is, so the arms may be the same from Ram to Dakota. I was just hoping somebody had already done it and knew for sure....

Old 01-17-2010, 06:33 AM
SEAL
Champion

What I was told is that there was a switch from a pin type mount like I have to a U type mount in 1991 where the wiper blade holder meets the arm. This is third party info so take it with a grain of salt. Advance said they would install it for free so if it doesn't fit you won't have to pay.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:16 AM
olscout99
Default Wiper arm

OK, well if that's the only difference it really doesn't matter, all the wiper blades you get come with the option of a few different kind of attachments. I'm about to go out and wire in an external voltage regulator on mine (the regulator in the PCM died, no charge) so I'll look at what I have now, but it seems to me that they are the 'hook' or U type rather than the 'pin' type.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:11 AM
bigol78dodge

i know that a wiper from a 92 d 350 wil fit my 78 d 200 so if that helps atol

Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 AM
olscout99

Well, I checked mine yesterday and they're pin type. I'm going to the JY this morning to get some tires mounted, so I'll check there to try to pick one up. Bigger problem is, I think I'm needing a fuel pump, had a 'no start' yesterday after numerous starts when I put on the new voltage regulator. Shot carb cleaner into the TB and it fired and ran on it, so it's definitely fuel. Got a new pump coming, and just in case I'll replace the relay today, but my money is on the pump, typical Dodge failure mode...

Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
SEAL
Champion

If you can hear the fuel pump humming when you first turn on the ignition then the pump is working. If it isn't running, most of the time it is the relay. You can jumper the wires at the relay to check if the pump runs at all. If the pump runs you need to do a pressure test at the TB while checking the fuel pressure regulator.

Quick Reply: 91 D150 wiper arm?