1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

91-93 fuel tank swap into a 88-89 w150???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 PM
itsrname2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91-93 fuel tank swap into a 88-89 w150???

Anyone heard or done this before? I had a problem with my fuel pump assy on my 89 dodge w150, if first poped up off the tank, and when i filled it gas came out of the top. and from what I have heard from some of the parts guys at chrysler this seems to happen a lot with the clamp they use with the plastic tank and that it slips easy.

Looks like the 91-93 have a fix and its a screw top on the tank on them. Looks like the same size tank and all the same hardware holds it up according to the part catalogs. only think im worried about is i havent looked at the 91-93 fuel pump assy and not sure of the connections and if will just be plug and play with my truck..

anyone with any ideas or info , thank you in advance.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i install a gas tank from an 86 d150 in my 91 d150 shortbox. the sizes and shape have not realy changed. i know that the tank that i pulled out of my 91 had 3 connections. 1.fuel line to the engine 2. return fuel line 3. a vaccuum line. i would have to guess since your truck is 89 and throtle body it should work.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you that the 93 and 89 fuel pump assemblies are different in some aspects. Weather they attach the same I am not sure but they are not interchangeable according to the web sites I checked. Refer here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...3-w-150-a.html

Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 AM
itsrname2
Amateur

Well 2 reasons why i want to do this, the 91 to 93 fuel pump has a screw on retainer nut that holds the fuel pump down, Second is No aftermarket or OEM fuel pump is available for the 88 to 90 dodge pickups but they are a lot for the 91 to 93 years.

I did more looking up last night, The electrical connector is different shape, But the wiring it self is the same.

I am going to try to do this depending on what I find at the junk yard today. For the swap I would need the Connector Pigtail, the Fuel tank (even though its the same shape as mine, the 91 to 93 has the threads for the plastic retainer that holds the fuel pump Assy down) then I would need the fuel pump Assy,

I will try to take pictures as im doing this If I do find a tank at a good price and do a write up of it. I know some people would just say, Just find a used fuel pump assy and be done with it because you dont really take the tank down that much. But I want to be on the safe side on this since I Plan on keeping this truck for a long time more. And if the fuel pump goes up then it would be easy to find a replacement Assy

Old 05-06-2016, 04:02 PM
davec42

I am about to attempt this myself. There is nothing for the 89-90 models except the pump itself. Finding a tank was a bit of a challenge. Most of the tanks I looked at here in the Phoenix Pull and Save yards had been punctured to get the fuel out of them. I also needed a 30 gallon tank. Found one in Vegas for 65.00 and having it shipped to me which was a bit expensive. Probably due to regulations and the size. The wiring does have to be changed. The 88-90 has a round plug where the newer one is flat. My concern is the fuel pump module. From what I have read the TBI units with the LA engine was used until 1991. After that came the Magnum engine which I believe needs a higher fuel system pressure. The aftermarket modules I have looked at online all look very similar. I am guessing it is best to find one for a 1991 model year to get the right pump? The other issue I might have is the Rollover vent valve. Not sure if I can use my old one out of the original module. I have not seen any aftermarket ones so probably best not to break it while removing it.

I am wanting to upgrade the tank because I replaced the fuel pump in the original module. It worked great for awhile, But now when the truck gets below a 1/4 tank the vehicle will shut die when rolling up to a stop light. It easily restarts, But I am thinking maybe the can the pump sits in is damaged or the sender itself is bad? I like that the new style tank has the threaded nut verses the clamp on the old one. It appears that the tank nut is still available? Hoping my fittings to the tank will match up also.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:21 PM
davec42
Default 1990 Dodge ram fuel tank swap.

I just did this mod on my truck and it worked out wonderful. I have a 1990 Dodge Ram pickup with the 30 gallon tank. I was having issues with it getting to a 1/4 of a tank then having it starve for fuel and die pulling up to a stop light. When the tank was above that I had no issues. I am thinking maybe the can was bad or the sender was bad. There is no aftermarket fuel pump module for these years and the last ones on the planet are extinct. I could buy fuel modules all day for 91 and up. First issue was to find a 30 gallon tank that matched mine. Went to several wrecking yards and the tank I found had been punctured. The staff told me that they puncture all the tanks on the cars to get the fuel out. I found one in Las Veas and had them ship it to Phoenix. The guy cut me a deal. It was 150.00 including shipping. I got on Amazon and bought a pump module. I originally bought a Carter module and it failed after 180 miles. I sent that one back and bought the Nippondenso unit. What a huge difference! I purchased some fuel injection line and a new nut that holds the module in the tank. I had to use my original roll over valve. I had to change my plug from the round to the flat that was used on 1991 and up. I found on e at a wrecking yard. Putting it together was a breeze. Everything matched up perfectly. I had the luxury of a car hoist to get the bed off for easy access.
Fuel tank nut 1991-93

30 gallon tank from 1993 truck

Screw on nut. Much better than the clamp one on the earlier pre 1991 models

New fuel tank grommet still available from Mopar and Dorman

30 gallon fuel tank par#

Flat plug to replace round one on original

Last edited by davec42; 07-16-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:08 PM
PowerRam1504x4
Default Flat connector

[QUOTE=davec42;3303684]
I just did this mod on my truck and it worked out wonderful. I have a 1990 Dodge Ram pickup with the 30 gallon tank. I was having issues with it getting to a 1/4 of a tank then having it starve for fuel and die pulling up to a stop light. When the tank was above that I had no issues. I am thinking maybe the can was bad or the sender was bad. There is no aftermarket fuel pump module for these years and the last ones on the planet are extinct. I could buy fuel modules all day for 91 and up. First issue was to find a 30 gallon tank that matched mine. Went to several wrecking yards and the tank I found had been punctured. The staff told me that they puncture all the tanks on the cars to get the fuel out. I found one in Las Veas and had them ship it to Phoenix. The guy cut me a deal. It was 150.00 including shipping. I got on Amazon and bought a pump module. I originally bought a Carter module and it failed after 180 miles. I sent that one back and bought the Nippondenso unit. What a huge difference! I purchased some fuel injection line and a new nut that holds the module in the tank. I had to use my original roll over valve. I had to change my plug from the round to the flat that was used on 1991 and up. I found on e at a wrecking yard. Putting it together was a breeze. Everything matched up perfectly. I had the luxury of a car hoist to get the bed off for easy access.
Fuel tank nut 1991-93

30 gallon fuel tank par#

looking for the part number for this flag electrical connector for the fuel pump assembly I bought for my 1990 Power Ram W150. Can’t seem to find a match anywhere not even a specialty electronic store couldn’t help me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-30-2022, 07:46 PM
Blue Rebel
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try LMCtruck.com for the parts you need. They will even send you a free catalog specific to your truck with all the parts listed.

The following users liked this post:
PowerRam1504x4 (07-03-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 12:35 AM
davec42

[QUOTE=PowerRam1504x4;3546454]
Originally Posted by davec42

Fuel tank nut 1991-93

30 gallon fuel tank par#

looking for the part number for this flag electrical connector for the fuel pump assembly I bought for my 1990 Power Ram W150. Can’t seem to find a match anywhere not even a specialty electronic store couldn’t help me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I got this one from a wrecking yard. from a 1991 or 1992 vehicle. It was in good shape and I spliced it in with solder and heat shrink where the round one was. You can use butt connectors although not as good of a repair.

Quick Reply: 91-93 fuel tank swap into a 88-89 w150???