1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how long is oil dipstick tube on a 318??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
mjm1988
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long is oil dipstick tube on a 318??

I recently acquired a 1988 Dodge Ram D100, which I believe either has the wrong oil dipstick or the wrong oil dipstick tube. Can anyone with a 318 pop their hood and measure their oil dipstick and oil dipstick tube?? Right now my dipstick tube measures about 14 1/2 inches (to where it makes contact w/ the engine block), and the dipstick itself measures 21 inches. thx, mike

Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mjm1988
I recently acquired a 1988 Dodge Ram D100, which I believe either has the wrong oil dipstick or the wrong oil dipstick tube. Can anyone with a 318 pop their hood and measure their oil dipstick and oil dipstick tube?? Right now my dipstick tube measures about 14 1/2 inches (to where it makes contact w/ the engine block), and the dipstick itself measures 21 inches. thx, mike
The dipstick in a 85 measures 29". I may be wrong but I don't think they were different from 85 to 88.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
mjm1988
Rookie

Originally Posted by BEAR
The dipstick in a 85 measures 29". I may be wrong but I don't think they were different from 85 to 88.
Thanks for the reply....wow...that would certainly make a huge difference in the measurement....you have a 318, right?

Old 05-01-2010, 06:15 PM
AeSix
Professional

easy way to be sure, especially since you just accquired the truck...
change the oil, let it all drip out. Fill it up with fresh oil to the exact amount it's supposed to be (I don't remember off the top of my head, though i think 5 quarts?) Then it don't matter how long the stick it, just use a file and mark a notch in the edge of it. You could even use an engraver and write "COLD FULL" on the stick, if you felt like getting fancy.
Before you add all the oil, you could add 1 quart less, so you can make a low-oil notch as well. That just means it's gotta sit for an extra 20-30 minutes.

The only problem you might run across with that is if the oil pan is a different size than it should be, and you end up adding too little or too much oil <_<

Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
mjm1988
Rookie

Originally Posted by AeSix
easy way to be sure, especially since you just accquired the truck...
change the oil, let it all drip out. Fill it up with fresh oil to the exact amount it's supposed to be (I don't remember off the top of my head, though i think 5 quarts?) Then it don't matter how long the stick it, just use a file and mark a notch in the edge of it. You could even use an engraver and write "COLD FULL" on the stick, if you felt like getting fancy.
Before you add all the oil, you could add 1 quart less, so you can make a low-oil notch as well. That just means it's gotta sit for an extra 20-30 minutes.

The only problem you might run across with that is if the oil pan is a different size than it should be, and you end up adding too little or too much oil <_<
I have a 21" dipstick where there should be a 30"ish dipstick....since my dipstick is waaaay short, the oil level doesn't register on the dipstick as full until you put about 13 qts in.....and we all know (by now) that is NOT correct.....I am going junkyard diving for the correct stick...in the meantime, its getting 5 qts!!!! Thanks for all the responses!!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the carpenter said "I just don't understand, I cut that board 3 times and its still too short."

Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM
mjm1988
Rookie

Originally Posted by SEAL
Like the carpenter said "I just don't understand, I cut that board 3 times and its still too short."
You are cracking me up!!! Did you see my post on what the actual cause of the engine noise was?? A loose crankshaft pulley (yes, all FIVE of the bolts were loose)....amazing how bad the engine ran....the wear was such that it was actually rotating a bit back and forth, which is where most of the problems with the engine running sourced from.....once I tightened the pulley down it ran well enough to take it for a spin around the block....go figure....

Quick Reply: how long is oil dipstick tube on a 318??