1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front pinion angle to steep?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM
elvis66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front pinion angle to steep?

86 Dodge PowerRam 150 1/2ton with a 360 automatic, and a new process 208 D transfer case and combined with a 73 Dodge Ram 100 3/4ton with a 4spd and a divorsed transfer case. All we did was rolled the 3/4ton rears under the 1/2ton and now the front driveshaft angle is to steep to attatch to the diff. This is because the 3/4ton had a divorsed transfercase and was dropped down more than the 1/2ton transfer case. We did roll the diff forward with shims inorder to use the truck for the winter to plow, but that won't work because the alignment is out when we did that so now if we want to drive it down the road it wonders all over, so we're going to roll the diff back when we figure out how to solve the pinion angle. So any suggestions would be appritated, thanks.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:33 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't somebody make a special double U-joint for things like this? Or is that only steering I've seen them for? On second thought, I don't know how stable a series of U-joints would be. Maybe taking it to a driveshaft shop is your best and safest option.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 PM
elvis66

Yes I did find some aftermarket joints, but first thing I found out the steering shaft joint at the box lost the clip and fell apart inside making it sloppy so I replaced that and the steering is tight, but it will still workder on the road so I don't know if the shims are doing it or since this truck don't have a sway bar? We're probaly going to just leave it go since it steers nice and tight. Thanks

Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

If your truck doesn't come with a swaybar, I suggest one. Mine did have one, but it broke. I drove like that for about a week before I got it fixed, and it felt like it was going to topple over on every turn. If you dont plan on rock crawling or anything, go for it. Its a worthwhile improvement.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:53 AM
elvis66

If we would decide on a sway bar, probaly just get on off of another truck I guess? The brakets and bar? But the only thing this trucks used for is hauling scrape and snow plowing, so is it really worth the time? I do know that it being a 3/4ton is handles pretty good turning wise but it does like to wonder if u don't watch.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:08 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Yeah. They are kind of expensive to buy new. But you could probably find one used. It won't help the wondering, but if you do end up having a problem with it diving and leaning into turns more than you like, its worthwhile IMO to put one on. But if you don't plan on driving it like a sports car, then don't worry.

Quick Reply: Front pinion angle to steep?