1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

87 D150 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

that don't make sense how they can not have a ballast resister with 2 pins. they are used on pretty much every mopar. rock auto has the them for $1.78 plus shipping. you could probably use the one with 4 pins but you would just have to use the rights pins because it should have the same resistance.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the ones that had two pins had a wire that bypassed the resistor when starting.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

so does the one with 4 pins.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 PM
psycobilly64
Professional

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
that don't make sense how they can not have a ballast resister with 2 pins. they are used on pretty much every mopar. rock auto has the them for $1.78 plus shipping. you could probably use the one with 4 pins but you would just have to use the rights pins because it should have the same resistance.
That didn't make a lot of sense to me either. The only reason I can think of is that dodges are somewhat uncommon around where I live. It's the middle of chevy country here. (Warner Gear and the Muncie manual transmission plant were within walking distance of each other). Well that and it seems like everyone is trying to phase out all the parts for these older trucks. The only parts they had on the shelf for my truck were the plugs and wires. I had to order EVERYTHING else from the warehouse (even the cap and rotor!), but they have everything you'd ever need for a chevy in the store.

Last edited by psycobilly64; 06-08-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There were 2 types of dual resistors. Thermal and non-thermal. The one in wolfie's diagram is a non-thermal. The thermal ones had .5 and 5 ohms. I would check the resistance in yours to be sure you have the 1.2 ohm type. Charlie is also correct about the bypass wire when starting.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:25 PM
psycobilly64
Professional

The resistor is at exactly 1.2 ohms. The mech said he'll have it in the shop today or tomorrow, but either way I should have it back tomorrow. I can't wait to finally jump in it and go!

Old 12-16-2019, 03:53 PM
camilia10

Originally Posted by psycobilly64
The resistor is at exactly 1.2 ohms. The mech said he'll have it in the shop today or tomorrow, but either way I should have it back tomorrow. I can't wait to finally jump in it and go!
hey did you find out the spark issue?just curious,my 87 D100 has the same issue,however i can start truck by hot wiring 3 wires.,but i have no interior lights or exterior unless i hot wire them from under the dash.Swapped out 3 ignition switch before hot wire the truck.

Old 12-16-2019, 04:12 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by camilia10
hey did you find out the spark issue?just curious,my 87 D100 has the same issue,however i can start truck by hot wiring 3 wires.,but i have no interior lights or exterior unless i hot wire them from under the dash.Swapped out 3 ignition switch before hot wire the truck.
look at the fusible links.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:46 PM
Gerald Hartman
Default 87 had in fender computer

Originally Posted by SEAL
I understand that 87 had a carb and 88 had a TBI. I believe he may be trying to run a mismatched system and/or he may be wrong on what year the truck is if he has an in the fender computer. That is why I asked the questions I did. If he has an in the fender computer it probably is not an 87 and therefore his aunt's father in law may have installed the wrong distributor when he replaced it. When you work on vehicles that are this old that have had previous owners you never know what may actually be in them until every thing is verified.
The 87 was 1st year with in fender computer Im on 3rd one. I just developed this issue for first time

Old 01-04-2021, 07:29 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerald Hartman
The 87 was 1st year with in fender computer Im on 3rd one. I just developed this issue for first time
Depends on what engine and whether originally a Calif vehicle or not. Slant 6 went to computer in 81, 318 with a 2 barrel carb (non Calif) went to that computer behind the battery in 86. 318 4 barrel and 360 had the 4 pin ecu and ballast resistor.
318 went to TBI injection in 88, while 360s were still 4 barrel and 4 pin ecu in 88 yet, went TBI (which was a ****ty setup, they sucked) in 89.
I have an 85 with a slant 6, it had the computer but no more.
1 more thing to check are the fusible links in the wiring harness along the driver side fender well. By the hood hinge. If they blow it can take power away from all sorts of things.
​​​​​​My 85's original under hood wiring was a complete hacked up train wreck. Lots of butchery by the past owner's. It was easier for me to get another harness from the junkyard and go thru it and fix any bad spots that were bad just on account of old age. I got a harness off of a truck that had the 4 pin ecu, it plugged right in to the bulkhead at the firewall. I did alot of untaping, soldering, applying heat shrink tube on mine. I spent alot of time with a wiring diagram and I also wired in an under hood fuse box from a newer vehicle (that fuse box ended up not being from a Dodge) that I pirated out of the junkyard. Everything that used to go through a fusible link now goes thru the new fuse box.
this didn't affect the factory under dash fuse box at all, that is all still there like the truck came when it was brand new. Overkill? Maybe. But I will never have wiring problems again as long as I own this truck unless the rodents attack.
I am restoring this one to keep for a long time too.
Currently even though it runs ok I have another engine sitting in the machine shop as we speak that is headed for this truck.

Quick Reply: 87 D150 no spark