1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

87 D150. Steering column swap and fried wires.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 AM
r130
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 D150. Steering column swap and fried wires.

Vehicle is a 1987 Dodge D150. Two wheel drive with power steering. Vehicle is an automatic with column shift.

The stock column was tilt, with cruise control. I purchased a used non tilt column on ebay. The column I purchased did not have cruise control. The cruise control never worked so I figured it wouldnt be a problem.

Here is where I am stumped. The new column i purchased has a different "ignition" type system. The stock column used the bar pulling on the switch system, whereas the new column has a system that appears to be internal in the column. As seen in the pictures. The new column appeared to have a different wiring harness, and was not "plug and play". A buddy and myself cut the wiring on the new harness, switched wires, and made it work. The truck would turn on, and start.

Fast forward to a day later. I get the new column completely bolted in. Plug in the harness, and truck will not start. All accessories turned on, but it "clicked" when trying to start it. I plugged the old column harness in to attempt to start the vehicle. When i turned the ignition to "start", the harness immediately fried a wire. It completely fried off the insulation. This was confusing as nothing was touched on the vehicle itself. We did not cut into the vehicle wiring harness. Heres some pictures. The truck is actually my moms, and I would like to get it going asap for her. Thanks everyone.

Here is the stock tilt column.

Here is the non tilt column installed.

Here is the stock fried column connector.

New column plug vs old.

Truck harness with fried wire.

The fried wire is grey with black stripe.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is the new column out of? Can you post both wiring diagrams that you are using to analyze compatibility? What was the reason for changing the column?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:03 PM
r130

Originally Posted by SEAL
What year is the new column out of? Can you post both wiring diagrams that you are using to analyze compatibility? What was the reason for changing the column?
The ebay ad states it's from an 85. We used a multimeter and trial/error. Reason for changing the column was due to bearings coming apart multiple times, and damaging plastic internals.

I hate to do it, but any easy way to just install a simple push button start?

Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Electricity and trial/error rarely ends well! You really need to get schematics for the column for both years. What I have shows the column connectors to be the same from 85-88. All colors in truck connector go to same colors in the column connector except the 20 gauge GY/BK goes to a 18 gauge BK in the column. The diagrams I have don't show what the P5 splice is but from what I am seeing it may be a ground. You can verify that with a continuity check.

Truck side of connector:
12 BK/RD to fuse #1,2
14 YL to starter relay
14 BK to fuses #4,5,6
14 DB to fuses #11,12,13 and the J2 splice
12 PK goes to the charging system
20 GY/BK to P5 splice
12 RD battery feed via a fusible link

Last edited by SEAL; 02-06-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:36 PM
r130

Originally Posted by SEAL
Electricity and trial/error rarely ends well! You really need to get schematics for the column for both years. What I have shows the column connectors to be the same from 85-88. All colors in truck connector go to same colors in the column connector except the 20 gauge GY/BK goes to a 18 gauge BK in the column. The diagrams I have don't show what the P5 splice is but from what I am seeing it may be a ground. You can verify that with a continuity check.

Truck side of connector:
12 BK/RD to fuse #1,2
14 YL to starter relay
14 BK to fuses #4,5,6
14 DB to fuses #11,12,13 and the J2 splice
12 PK goes to the charging system
20 GY/BK to P5 splice
12 RD battery feed via a fusible link
The connectors are the same, but the wiring color and positions are different...
I fixed the burnt wire. The burnt wire appeared to be a ground. Plugged in the stock connector, and nothing. I ran a wire directly from the battery, to the 12v red wire on the connector. Truck started and ran fine with the stock connector. Not sure what i burnt out, but I may just run a new red power wire to the connector if I can figure out the new harness.

Thanks for the help so far.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think most of the steering columns are pretty much the same. the only difference i have found is the color of some of the wires and the plug for the turn signal. the ignition wire plug on both my 81 and 91 are the same.

you could put the starter on a push button if you want. there should be a relay on the drivers fender. the pin that has a I by it which is the one needed to make the replay work.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 PM
r130

Replaced the fusible links. Works 100% again with the stock connector plugged in.

Now to just figure out the new column...

Here is a link to the column I purchased. Ad says its from an 85, but who knows.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190619965734...84.m1497.l2649

Truck is an 87 with tilt. Ebay column is non tilt, and is actually longer. I am going to have to buy a telescopic steering shaft, or shorten the stock shaft. Only if I can figure out the wiring issue.

The connectors are the same, but the wiring is different

Old 02-11-2012, 12:52 AM
hearting
Banned

The truck is actually my moms, and I would like to get it going asap for her. Thanks everyone.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:02 AM
hearting
Banned

Can you post both wiring diagrams that you are using to analyze compatibility?

Quick Reply: 87 D150. Steering column swap and fried wires.