1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suspension Lift-DIY or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:55 PM
jcruse64
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Lift-DIY or Not?

I want to lift my '93 W-150 ext cab long bed, and am looking at the 4" (all leaf) lift from Rough Country. I've priced it to 2 or 3 local shops for parts and install, but I'm also thinking about DIY install. I have plenty of space to tackle it, and have or can get the needed tools. But I've never tried anything like this before; closest was swapping axle out on a '63 Chevy truck many years ago.

I've read through several threads on here since I joined up, regarding lift kits, and was wondering how many of you DIY, and what the degree of difficulty was. Also wondering what else I should be looking at replacing while doing this job. I've also talked myself into the Borgeson upgrade. I see also that my steering box is pretty greasy, and may need swapped, so I'll probably go after that as well. Do I need to address anything else in my steering or brakes while I'm doing a 4" suspension lift? I will probably pick up the higher priced shocks they offer with their 4" lift kit.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Joe Cruse

Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't know if i would recommend a rough country lift kit. they give you new springs for up front which is great but they give you 3" blocks for the rear. i am not sure of this but i think you may already have blocks back there so to get close to the 4" of lift you want you would have to stack blocks which could get dangerous.

as far as steering goes you may want to see how the steering feels after you do your upgrades before you go replacing the steering box.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:13 PM
jcruse64
Rookie

Thanks, CW. I looked through their site, and they actually do offer the full front and back spring kit. It is more expensive, but from what I've read on here on folks that have lifted, that way looks to be better, so I'm going with the full front and back option.

Would you still go for the steering shaft upgrade? This truck is not horrible, but the steering is not that tight, and it occasionally gets a little sloppy.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:29 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the only thing i could find on there website is that they offer the optional new springs for the rear. now i doubt those are actual lift springs. i think they would just be the same as stock and still require the 3" block to gain the lift. now if you were to get new springs you may gain an inch or 2 until they settle. depending on how much you want to spend depends on which way you go. i know someone Jungle Jim on RCC sells some parts that will lift your truck but allow you to keep stock springs
rear shackle flip bracket
http://ramchargercentral.com/jungles...-flip-hangers/
front spring drop bracket
http://ramchargercentral.com/jungles...15/#msg1527215

have you driven any older trucks before? they don't really steer like the new ones. a Borgeson steering shaft might take some of the slop out of the steering. i think the cheapest place to get one might be amazon or ebay.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 AM
jcruse64
Rookie

I can go for a pricier kit than the Rough Country setup. In reading up on lifts in these forums, the Rough Country kit got overall good reviews, and they are less expensive, so that was my first thought, but I can spring for one of the other brands. I don't want to go over 4-6"; that's plenty for me.

I definitely want to spring for the Borgeson shaft upgrade, but my steering box has a LOT of grease and gunk around it, like it has been slowly losing material. I bought this truck off my father-in-law, and he had to replace the box once.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

just because your steering box is dirty doesn't mean it is bad. if it had already been replaced once it is most likely fine. your best bet is to replace the steering shaft then see how it feels unless you want to spend $350+ on a good steering box.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM
jcruse64
Rookie

I agree there, and will follow your advice.

As to the DIY part of the question; you think this is a good project to tackle DIY? What else do I need to be thinking of changing out when I put on a 4-6" suspension lift?

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

it could be a good diy project as long as the truck is not your daily driver. if it is your daily driver you really got to check how much rust is on the bolts and start spraying them with penetrating oil for a couple weeks before you do the lift.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 AM
jcruse64
Rookie

Well, we're going to find out about how good a DIY it is now. I ordered a 4" Skyjacker System, and also picked up a steering stabilizer. Will start spraying bolts and nuts when I get home today. Should get it next week sometime. I will try to remember to post pics while I do this. This is also a good excuse to upgrade for some pneumatic tools!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:53 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

you may also want to get a wire brush if you don't have one and brush the nuts, bolt heads and threads before spaying them each time. it helps remove the rust and make it easier for the penetrating oil to do its job. now lately i have been sand blasting real rusty nuts and bolts and i have had a fair bit of good luck getting them out but a sandblaster normally takes a bit larger compressor to keep it happy. as far as air tools go, they are nice sometimes but most of the time i would rather use hand tools. only thing that gets used nearly as much as much as my sand blaster is the wire wheel on a air buffer.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 06-26-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension Lift-DIY or Not?