1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Brake Over-adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was curious about the rear shoes because some of the rebuilt ones I've seen have considerably shorter pads on them. They are the ones that are glued on instead of riveted. I noticed that yours are new and riveted also just like the factory ones.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Originally Posted by SixGun
I was curious about the rear shoes because some of the rebuilt ones I've seen have considerably shorter pads on them. They are the ones that are glued on instead of riveted. I noticed that yours are new and riveted also just like the factory ones.
Thats why I went with these ones. They had another set, but they were the glue on type, which I assumed was a reman. These have a lifetime warrenty (against defects), whereas, the others only had a two year.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Scooter78
Captain

I dont get it.... Its doing it again. Seems to be free while backing but when going forward, it is almost totally locked up. Im running out of ideas. New shoes, new drum, new adjuster kit.... What else could be causing this?

Edit: Just had a thought... Could a tire that is out of balance cause this? The vibration cause the adjuster cog to "shake" forward? I would think the springs would provide enough tension to prevent that, but I dont want to rule anything out.

Last edited by Scooter78; 05-03-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Anyone? This thing is driving me nuts.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

might have to ask the guys over on RCC. with all new parts it should not be doing this. i don't think a vibration should cause the issue. i thought they where only suppose to self adjust when you stomp on the brake while driving in reverse but i am not too familiar with the axle you have.
http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/

Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Scooter78
Captain

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
might have to ask the guys over on RCC. with all new parts it should not be doing this. i don't think a vibration should cause the issue. i thought they where only suppose to self adjust when you stomp on the brake while driving in reverse but i am not too familiar with the axle you have.
http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/
Thats the way I understood it to work as well. Im not a member over there, and I hate to be that guy that joins just to ask one question. Can you post without joining?

Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

You got to join to post but there is a lot of good guys there that probably won't mind helping you.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Scooter78
Captain

So... I got tired of the over-adjustment, so as a temporary fix, I grossly under adjusted them. I know, I know... That isn't the right way. Truck still stops fine, but since the fronts are doing all the work, the pedal requires a bit more pressure than I care for, and I'm sure I'm eating pads much faster. I give up. I'm going to swap it to disc brakes in the rear, and never worry about drums again. Found a kit for about $300 (I think- I don't have the link in front of me.) Uses CNC cut brackets and Chevy brake calipers. Ill make a new thread when I find my pry-bar to get my wallet open.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Over-adjusting